chapter eleven | join us

M E L A N I E L E I G H T O N

APPARENTLY MY BROTHER is incapable of driving Seren to her friends house even though he's already going out, so once again, the two of us have taken the drive from one side of town, to the other

"How are you liking the move then, Seren?" I ask her. It's not often we spend a lot of time together anymore, we're both really busy.

"It's good. I've got Beth now too so that makes it a little better." She replies and I nod along as she does. It's always been hard for us to make real friends with everyone knowing who are dad is, and now, although they know who he is here, they haven't put two and two together yet, so it's a little bit easier. "Can I ask you a question though, Mel?" She asks after a few minutes and I turn to look at her. Only for a few moments because I can't take my eyes off the road for too long.

"Sure." I smile, continuing to drive the familiar road to Carter's house. God, I know where the man lives, I've been here ten times and not a single time has been here to see him. Not that I want to see him of course. But that night we shared the cigarette has been playing on my mind for days. And the night at Harry's house. I swear I was so close to kissing him, and I don't even know him.

I'm fucking crazy, but there's just something about him.

"Are you and Beth's brother together?" She asks and it shocks me so much I almost crash the car. Looking from her to the road back to her, a few times, I stutter.

"What? What makes you ask that?" I ask, my mind is foggy, confusion completely taking over.

"Well, Beth said she heard you and him on the phone the other night, and that he said something about you when he got home the other night after the rugby game at the school." Seren explains and I have nothing to say back. Surely he didn't say anything about me after the game, that would be crazy. But, there is a very big possibility that Beth heard us on the phone while I was explaining his homework to him.

"That doesn't mean we're together, Ser. We've been here about two months, I most definitely don't know him well enough to be with him." I explain, chuckling to try and calm myself down because why is my thirteen year old sister asking me if I'm going out with her friends brother.

"I guess. But, what are you guys then? Cause apparently the way he was talking about you wasn't very... well... whatever you claim to be." She says and another laugh leaves me.

"What was he saying?" I ask, hopefully Bethan had told her what he was saying because I'm slightly intrigued, but also very scared.

"Just that you were pretty, and you have a secret he wants to know." She explains, as we pull up to the house.

"Well, I think we both know what secret he wants to figure out." I start as I kill the engine and unbuckle my seatbelt. "And I can assure you, we're just friends, if that." We climb out of the car and i round the front of the car, leaning against the bonnet as she walks up the walkway, and towards the front door.

Just as she goes to knock, the front door opens, and a group of boys slide out next to her, Bethan coming to the door last. The group of boys consist of Carter, Iwan, Harry, Tom, Ollie and Dafydd.

I immediately sit up from where I was sat, and stand closer to my car, the boys have not only noticed my sister, but also me.

Seren and Beth are both talking on the front step, as I lock eyes with Carter. He's... so attractive.