chapter thirty | i cant be your friend

M E L A N I E L E I G H T O N

I SHOULD'VE SEEN this coming. He's like them. Of course he is like them. And with her? With Elise? Was this his plan all along?

Drag me along and make me think he liked me? Only to get back with his ex-whatever the fuck they were-person thing, a couple of weeks after saying he wanted to be with me?

Am I that stupid and naive that I didn't see it coming? I look like a complete mug. Even Iwan is annoyed with him, and they're best friends.

Both Iwan and Jess have left now, but I haven't moved from my place in the leisure centre hallway. I don't think I can. It's only P.E, I'll survive with missing one lesson.

The sound of football boots clicking on the floor startled me, I look up to see Carter, coming towards me, a solemn look on his face. "Mel." He starts as he gets closer. My chest restricts but I don't move. "It isn't like that."

"It's fine." I breath out, looking up at him. "We aren't together, do what you want." It kills me to say it, but it is the truth. We aren't officially together, no matter how much I wanted it to be.

"I know," he says, "but I promised that it would only be you. It was Elise, I didn't do anything for that to happen." He rambles on, I'm not even sure he knows what he's talking about at the moment.

"Sure you didn't." I roll my eyes. I'm not even sure why I'm acting like this, it's all bringing back the memory of him.

"Mel, don't be like that." He sighs, putting his hand out to reach for me, but I move back.

"Don't." I say, voice shaky. "This is exactly why I don't go for people like you." I mumble it more to myself that to him, but he hears.

His eyes widen as his eyebrows scrunch up. "People like me?"

I stare up at him. Trying to find the right words. I don't know how I feel right now. It's all too much. I hate him, but I don't. I like him, and it kills me knowing he doesn't. Was it really all a lie? You don't promise someone something and do the opposite, do you?

"Well come on then, what do you mean, people like me?" His voice raises a little, it scares me. This situation really does remind me of him.

"Rugby boys!" I yell out. Tears well in my eyes but I don't let them pour yet. "I did it once, and it fucked me over." I admit out loud, "and I'm doing it again," I chuckle to myself, "so let's just stop this before it goes any further." I put my hand out and take a couple steps back. "Because I can't do it."

"Do what?" He questions, he goes to move forward but when I out my hand out further he stops and moves back.

"This." I bite. "Us. A few kisses won't stop us going back to where we were before." A few kisses. Are you crazy? This was a lot more than just a few kisses Mellie.

"Where we were before?" Oh my god, why does he keep repeating everything I say?

"Friends." Is all I say. Friends, that's all I can be. Nothing more, nothing less,

"Friends?" There he goes again. "Mel, I can't be your friend. I like you way too much for that." He argues back, I can see he's getting angry, he's never been angry around me before, it scares me,