chapter thirty nine | date night

M E L A N I E   L E I G H T O N

I HATE THIS. Why do I never know what to wear to his house? It's a date. I know it's a date. He told me it's a date.

I've once again tried on a million outfits and I still can't be convinced that I like any of them on me. But this one might have to be the one, considering it's 6:53 and I told him I'd be there at seven.

My hair is straightened and my usual amount of makeup on, and jeans and a cute top on. I groan when I look around my room seeming the mess I've created, but I decide it's too late to do anything about it.

I pick up my keys and phone and make my way out the room, avoiding anyone related to me in the house to not get caught up in conversations and rush to my car.

Sliding in, my music starts to play as I start the car which really calms my nerves. I don't even know why I'm so nervous.

I drive to his house, praying that I stop shaking before I get there, and thankfully just as I pull up in his driveway the shaking stops.

I take a few breaths before I climb out the car and walk in up to the house. I knock three times- I don't know why I count- and then wait.

Seconds later the door opens and Carter is stood there in jeans and a shirt, a smile on his face. "Hey." He says, opening up the door and moving out the way for me to walk in.

"Hi." As I walk in the smell of food hits my nose, "it smells amazing Carter, what are you making?" I ask, he takes my hand in his and pulls me along with him into the kitchen.

"Do you remember the pasta I was going to make you a few weeks ago ... but we got a little distracted?" He asks and I nod along. "Well I thought we'd actually eat it this time. That okay?" He asks.

"That's fine." I pull myself closer to him and lean into his arm, holding onto him for a few more moments before he walks back over to the oven.

He spends a few more minutes at the oven as I prance around the kitchen, looking around like it's the first time I were here. "Do you want a drink?" He asks and I nod, "water? Pepsi? orange juice?"

"Water's fine." I smile, "I'll make it don't worry." I offer and he shakes his head.

"No, sit down, Mel. I'll do it." He smiles and I do as he says, sitting down on the Island where there's place mats set up. A few minutes later he places the cups of water down, and then the plates of food.

It smells amazing, it looks amazing and I know that it will taste amazing.

"Thank you." I smile and he sits down beside me. I take a bite of the foot and moan at the taste. "Oh my god, Carter can you cook anything bad?" I ask taking another bite.

A laugh escapes him as he nods his head along. "Thank you. I think?"

My hand outstretches and rubs over the back of his head. "For you get a haircut?" I ask and he nods his head.

"Yeah, do you like it?" He asks and I smile.

"Yeah. I love your hair." I admit and watch a smile fall over his lips. "And I love you," I add.