chapter thirty six | i love you

M E L A N I E   L E I G H T O N

IM A MESS. I'm a serious, god forbidden mess.

I stopped drinking about half an hour ago. I've been sat in the corner of the pub away from everyone, on the phone to Jess the whole time. Poor girl.

"Jess, I really love him." I admit out loud. Yeah, I've told her my breakthrough. She squealed and temporarily deafened me.

"You really do?" She questions, I can sense the excitement in her voice, but she asks it's so calmly it a little scary.

"I do."

"So, tell him them you idiot!" She squeals again and I have to move the phone away from my ear.

When I pull it back, I sigh down the phone. "I can't." I tell her. "He gone, and I think he hates me now."

"Don't be crazy. He doesn't hate you." She urges and something inside me clicks.

The way he's been looking at me doesn't look like he hates me. He wants to talk, and I think after everything he deserves to have me listen.

"Jess, listen I've gotta go." I call down the line and she shrieks.

"Let me know how it go-" I cut her off my ending the call and standing. I rush out of the pub, it's cold, and wet and raining heavily but that doesn't stop me. I run to my car to not get too wet and climb in.

Starting it up, I pull out of the car park and drive straight to his house.

This is a ridiculous idea. It's almost midnight, he left a good hour ago, he's probably asleep by now. The thoughts don't stop me though. I keep driving.

I slam the brakes on and climb out the car. The rain soaks me as I get to his front door and ring the bell. The only car here is mine and his, I hope I haven't woken up Beth.

The door doesn't open for a good couple of minutes, I start to walk away from the door thinking his asleep but the moment I get halfway down the path, the door opens.

I spin around and there he is. I watch him, he watches me, I don't say anything for a good couple of seconds. Until I ask the question I've been drying to know.

"Why did you kiss Elise?" I ask, hoping there's a good reason as to why. I know he's already said why sort of, but I want the full answer.

The rain is pouring down on me, I'm completely soaked, Carter steps out of his house and down the path a little. The rain now consuming him too. "She kissed me."

"Why?"

"I don't know." He shrugs his shoulders but the way he says it makes me believe he's telling the truth.

"You don't like her." I state it rather than question him. Trying to put all the pieces together.

"Fuck no." He says. "But you didn't give me the chance to tell you that." He explains and guilt rises in me.

"I'm sorry." I admit. I really am.

"Mellie." He sighs. "You should've let me tell you." He adds on and I nod my head, looking up at his wet face.