chapter forty seven | the bet

M E L A N I E L E I G H T O N

HE WAS HERE. He was in Carter's house. He had his hands on me. I didn't know what to do. I was so scared, I froze.

And then they came in, he let go of me. I went straight for Carter. I knew I'd me safe with him, the whole thing was a complete mess.

The police came, they took him away Mellie. You're okay now, you're safe.

I stay at Carter's for the last two nights, I've been too scared to come home. I know he isn't here, but if he had been, I was worried what he'd have left me to, and I'd was worried about getting those nightmares.

I don't get them when I sleep with Carter, only when I'm on my own, that's got to mean something, right?

It's been two days though, I need to go home, I need to see my family, and I need to talk to them about everything. Everything and Carter, because I know for a fact they heard him call himself my boyfriend.

I can't believe he did that. I'm happy he did, I'm just surprised, I didn't think we were telling people yet, let alone my crazy ex-boyfriend who broke into his house.

Carter spent the whole two days with me. Telling me everything would be okay, just sitting in his room, doing school work and cooking food for me.

I told him he didn't have to, I also told him that if he didn't want me there, he could just say the word and I go. But he never once said anything, or gave off any sort of reaction that he wanted me to go.

Even Beth spent some time with me. Asking if I was okay.

I must seem so crazy with the way I broke down that night, there was just so many emotions running through my body I didn't know what to do. I'm just glad he was there with me.

He held me all night long, telling me he loved me and kissing my forehead, pushing away any hair that got into my face, I thanked him and blushed, he laughed, but nothing changed.

Pushing the front door of my house open, I throw my bag down onto the floor and take in the scent of home. The hallway is silent, it's eight in the morning, everyone is probably in school, but I don't need my brothers and sisters, I just need my mam and dad.

I walk through the house and into the kitchen to see both my parents say on the dinning table, mugs in front of both of them as they talk.

When I walk in, their eyes land on me, smiles reaching both of their faces as I sit down in the chair opposite my parents. "Hi." I smile.

"Hi, sweetheart," my mother smiles. "Are you okay?"

"I am now." I admit, nodding my head. "Thank you for letting me stay at Carter's." I tell them, they look to each other, and although there's smiles on their faces, I know there's a question they both want to ask.

"It's okay." Ma smiles, "are you going in late today? Or staying off?" She asks, referring to school. There's only a couple of months left and I can't really miss any more days, but I'm also not ready to go back today.

"I'm going to go back tomorrow..." I start, "if that's okay." I add on.

"That's fine, princess." Dad nods, taking a sip of his coffee. "How is Carter?"