chapter thirteen | stay over

M E L A N I E L E I G H T O N

I AM HAMMERED. Seriously, I don't think I've been this drunk in months. Especially with friends. People who actually like me for me and not for my name.

And the boy beside me is exactly how I am. Drunk, dizzy and absolutely exhausted. Jess' cousin had called us all taxi's when we began to start to talk about making a move.

She's so sweet, just like Jess.

Everyone but, Carter, Jess, Iwan and I are gone. Jess and Iwan are dancing around in front of us which makes me dizzy to look at. Carter and I are sat against the wall we were stood against a few weeks ago. It's cool and the wind is blowing on us which is the only thing that's making me not throw my guts up right now.

Tonight was so fun. Carter is so fun. I really like him. As a friend of course, nothing else. He's so sweet and even funny. I love that.

"God, this is why I don't drink." Carter grumbles from beside me. "I feel like shit."

"Me too, Carter. Me too." I say back, closing my eyes and letting my brain feel as if it's spinning around on a rollercoaster.

A few minutes later a car pulls up in front of us, which Maddie walks over to and checks is for us. When she walks back over, Iwan pulls Carter up and when he steady on this feet he leans down for me, taking his hand and ignoring the static I get as I grip onto him, he pulls me up, and towards him so I don't sway away.

He then places his arm over my shoulder as we all walk over to the car. Iwan climbs into the front, while Jess and I climb into the back, Jess on the right, me in the middle, and then Carter climbs in beside me.

Carter reads off his address and the taxi driver begins to drive.

"You know what I could do with right now?" Jess speaks up from beside me, her head against the window as I lean more into Carter.

"What could you do with, Baby?" Iwan calls out from the front of the car.

"Cheesy chips." She says and i sigh.

"You and me both, Jess." The thought of cheesy chips after a night out is fucking amazing. The thought of a kebab is so much more. I could really do with one right now. But for now, I've got to focus on getting sober so I can drive home. Because I'm no way am I sitting in the back of a car, drunk, with a stranger man having full control.

The drive feels longer that it actually is, every bump or knock the car takes makes my stomach churn as I hold it. The only bad thing about drinking is the drive home afterwards. It's horrid.

Finally we get to Carter's house and everyone climbs out. Carter throws over some cash to the driver. "Keep the change." And then he gets out. I follow after him and almost fall over as my feet hit the ground. I can't even remember how much I've had to drink. We got to the pub about three, and now it's about two in the morning.

Carter grabs on to me as Iwan and Jess rush over to his house and as I go to find my keys. The taxi has disappeared now so I'm left in darkness trying to find the keys.

"You should stay over." Carter breathes. His hot breath coming over onto my face, and just as his did earlier, the smell of his cologne fills my nose and he smells amazing. "You can't drive home in this state. You can go in the morning, my parents are on nightshifts so they won't be home." He explains and although it would be amazing to not leave, and stay in a house that smells like him. I should really go. Not that I can even see straight.