chapter nineteen | carter!

M E L A N I E L E I G H T O N

IT HAD BEEN two weeks since dad has told us about his new job in school. Before he had started, he pulled Ben and i into his new office and said that he had wanted us to come in with him when he introduced himself.

Like having him there wasn't already embarrassing.

Im proud of his career and what he's done, but at the end of the day, he's my dad. I'd feel the exact same way if it was my Ma working in the school.

Every day since that day I've had the same persons face in my mind. Carter's.

He looks so confused, and when my dad went and spoke to him, he looked so happy. Maybe he wasn't as annoyed as I though he would be.

But we also haven't spoken for those two weeks either. Which adds on to all the weeks before hand. I've completely lost track. Not like I was keeping it anyways.

Both rugby teams had practise today. Year Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten were on the left pitches, while Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen were on the right.

Ben was supposed to take Troy home after his practice, but of course he's buggered off with Hannah, so I've had to stick around for an hour and half after a PE lesson, sitting on a near by wall on the phone to Jess.

Finally practice is over, so I make my way off the wall and onto the left pitches. Troy is in a big group of boys talking, but he notices me waiting at the very top of the field.

He points a finger to his friends and rushes over to me.

"Yo!" He calls over as he runs.

"Don't 'Yo' me, I'm your sister, not your mate." I say back and just watch as he giggles to himself.

"Yeah yeah." He finally catches up to me and stands in front. "Why're you here though? School finished over an hour ago."

"Oh I know." I scoff. "Ben told me I had to pick you up after practice because he's gone out with Hannah." I explain, I thought I did a decent job at it too, until I see the confused look on Troy's face.

"Sorry, Mel." He starts, now confusion washes over me. "I'm going out with a few boys now, I did ask Ben to tell you but he must've been too busy with Hannah."

I sigh, nodding my head as I take in what he says. "It's okay, don't worry, I'll see you at home." I offer him a smile and place my hand on his shoulder, giving him a nudge back to his friends and slowly turning on my feet and walking over to the right.

This morning I parked by the right pitches so now I have to walk back over there. I don't mind it though, although it's been raining all week, it's a nicer day today. Plus, my bag is in my car which I put there just after school.

As I walk, I pull out a cigarette and lighter, lighting it carefully and sucking in a breath. Bloody Ben and his obsession for his girlfriend.

I stare at the floor as I walk. Just thinking about everything that's happened this year, and it's only fucking March.

When I get about halfway over the other pitches, I hear my name called.

"Oi, Leighton. What you doing here?" It's his voice.

I look up at turn right to see him. Only a couple of feet away from me, muddy, sweaty and in his rugby kit. God, he's so pretty. Can I say that about him? His so... big. Muscles everywhere. It's crazy. Crazy hot,