chapter ten | mellie and elise

C A R T E R M A D D O C K S

MY MIND SHOULD be on the win. On how well my teammates and I played. Things I did wrong and things I did right. Even the scouts. But no, instead it's on her.

I noticed her standing around with everyone while I was playing. I didn't think much about it though, I mean, her brother was playing too.

But she was there. With Jess, jumping and shouting. And she looked so good doing it too.

And then after the game. I asked if she was coming to the after party. I keep asking her if she's going to places I'm going to be. I don't know why.

I do honestly need to stop. But, I can't.

And now? Now I'm in Harry's kitchen, a can in hand, leaning against his kitchen island, a few of the lads surrounding me, with other people from school also around us.

Harry and his girlfriend Libby are stood beside me, all close, talking about the game. Iwan, is stood beside me glaring at our teammate who's touching and kissing his sister.

"She's sixteen, Iwan. Leave her be." I laugh at him, his eyes then glare at me.

"He's too old for her." He bites back,

"He's seventeen." I say. "He's one of the youngest in their year. And he's not a bad kid." I explain and although I've said it a million times. I know he's not listening. It's his little sister and a boy he's known his whole life. A boy that he knows all of his secrets about. Everything he's done with a girl. At the end of the day, he's just worried about his sister.

And I get that. If I knew a boy who had a past like Harry, was trying to get with Beth, I think I'd be going crazy too.

Instead I'm going crazy because some girl won't leave me alone, and another I barely know won't leave my head.

Speaking of the girl who won't leave me alone. Elise is stood in the corner of the kitchen. Eyes on me, and won't stop. She has a guy right next to her, but she's still watching me.

I don't look at her though, because if I did, she'd take it as an invitation and I really do not want to deal with her right now.

It's then Jess walks in, and although I'm happy to see her because if Elise does do anything, Iwan and her together, will literally eat her up and throw her out.

But, I'm also a little upset? Mellie said that she would come if Jess was coming. And Jess is here, but I can't see Mellie.

Why do I feel like this? Like I've said a million times before, I don't know the girl. She's only helped me with homework, and I've spoken to her only a handful of times. But I want to talk to her more. For some reason I do.

"Hi, Carter." Jess smiles, leaning beside me to grab a drink off the kitchen island. When I see her stand up she's got two drinks in her hand, but I think nothing of it, until the kitchen door opens up and two more people enter.

Eli Wilks, one of our players, waltzes in with his arm put over Mellie's shoulder. My eyes lock on her, Eli by her or not, all eyes are on her as she walks through.

She's gorgeous.

Jess walks on over to them, passing her a drink which she takes, and she shrugs off Eli which makes me laugh. He gets a little bit clingly when he's around a girl he likes, and even though the idea of Eli liking Mellie, pisses me off, knowing she shrugged him off makes it okay.