chapter forty eight | rugby is everything

C A R T E R   M A D D O C K S

WE LOST. THE first game this year that we lost.

I don't even know how? We were going so good the first half, half-time was usual, and then in the second half it all went to shambles.

Mind you, the other team were sneaky little pricks, there was fuck ups everywhere on their team, but the ref didn't catch that did they, no.

Pushing my hand through my hair and walking through my front door, I drop my bags and sigh.

Immediately I hear the sounds of footsteps come out of the front room, I look and see her.

It was an away game, so I gave her my house keys and told her to wait for me here. I'm happy to see her. "You okay?" She asks, I'm sure she knows how bad it went, Iwan was on the phone to Jess the entire time, I'm sure Jess warned her.

"I'm okay." I nod, pulling her to me, holding her close. After a few minutes she pulls us into the front room. Sitting down on the sofa, I fall on top of her, resting my face on her chest, wrapping my arms around her waist and closing my eyes.

I'm so tired. That game killed me, it would've been nice to win, weirdly I'm very annoyed with myself, if I can't even win a school rugby match, how do I have any hope come September?

"It's okay, Carter, it's just a school game, don't worry," she whispers, but for some reason it only makes me doubt myself worse.

Pulling myself up off her I stand up, she looks confused at me. "It's not just a school game." I shake my head. "It starts my career, Mel. Why're you being like that?" I question.

"Like what?" She asks. Sitting up and standing too, her eyes locked in on mine.

"Acting like it's nothing." I say, it's not nothing, it does start my career, people watch me at these games, if they see me okay terrible here, they won't want me playing for their country.

What if I'm not good enough for it? What if I've just spent the last eighteen years trying for something I can't do.

Mellie's she's soften as she takes a step forward, I take one back. "I'm sorry," she says, "I didn't realise I was doing that. I just meant you don't have to be so angry about it, you're too good to be worrying about it."

Am I though? Am I too good? Or am I just better than some people which makes it look like I can okay for the big team. What if Gareth is lying, what if I don't have what it takes?

Why am I so angry about this? I haven't lost a game since year nine. Games I don't play, they tend to lose, but when I play, we win. We always win, that's not me being cocky or full of myself, that's me telling the truth.

Why did we lose this fucking game?

I groan, she doesn't get it. She's grown up around it buts it's never been her on that pitch playing. She's never had a whole country or a whole school depend on her to get a fucking ball over a line.

"Mellie." I start. "It isn't just that, it's how everything started." I rub my hands over my face, "it's what made me love rugby." Ever since the beginning it's been me, my friends, some grass and a ball. I didn't play to win, back then, winning had no meaning, but now, now it has all the meaning in the world. I need to make the people I care for happy, to let them know they haven't wasted all their hope on me.

"So I'm sorry if I'm a little upset for not winning a game with the boys I've grown up with, the boys who have basically helped mark out my future." I get extremely frustrated as I talk, it's all becoming too much. I'm not sure why I'm taking it out on her, I regret it completely but I just can't stop, she's the only one who seems to listen and I'm hurting her, "rugby is everything to me Melanie. If I can't win a poxy school game, how can I win with the big team?" I shout a little now.

She flinches and I regret it straight away, I got to move to her but she moves back.

"Okay." She sighs. "You need to calm down, I'm going to go." She says walking out of the front room, I hear the door close a couple seconds later and she's gone.

Sighing myself, I drop down on to the sofa and groan out loudly. Why did I take it out on her? She's right, it is just a school game, but it's one of my last, but the question of if I'm good enough keeps coming back.

Can I do this? I really don't know.

❦ ❦ ❦

I HATE MYSELF for the way I acted earlier. We got into an argument about her not talking about her feelings and I can even talk about mine?

Talk about hypocrisy.

The moment she left my brain went straight to her, it forgot about the rugby and went to her. Without her the rugby means nothing, because if she's not there beside me then the winning won't matter.

I need to apologise, I know I do, but it's no good over the phone, it doesn't mean the same.

I make my way for my keys and climb in my car. It's late, she's probably already sleeping, but I don't care, I need to see her and I need to say sorry.

It takes me seven minutes to get from my house to hers, I park a couple houses down like normally, climb out and quickly walk to her house.

I do the usual climb up her window and pray to god she doesn't hate me that much and has her window on the latch.

Thankfully she does, so I pull it all the way open and tumble into her room. She's on her bed, under the covers but I know she's awake. The TV isn't on, and she can't sleep without sound. She's thinking.

I don't know what to do, how to say sorry, so instead I kick off my shoes and clothes, walk over to her bed and pull the covers up. Climbing in, I pull her against me, she doesn't push away so I wrap my arms around her.

She doesn't say anything, which is fair, but I just hold her. After a few minutes, she pushes her ass against my dick and rubs slightly.

Oh I hate her.

My fucking dick hardens way too quickly, just the touch of her against me gets me going. She doesn't say anything though, still.

I do nothing about it, if this is all she's going to give me, I'll take it. Just when I think that's the end of it, she turns around and looks up at me. "I'm sorry." I whisper.

A smile appears on her face as I do, "it's okay, I'm sorry for pushing, I know how much it means to you." She puts her and on my cheek and gently rubs my cheek.

"Not as much as you." I admit and her smile brightens. She leans up and kisses me hard, and I let her. "I love you." I whisper.

"I love you." She says back.

I really, really fucking love you Mellie.

AUTHOR SPEAKS !!

Six to go...

Carter and Mellie's first couple argument... I didn't really want to give them a 3rd act break up so this is the most you'll get.

also Carter calling her MELANIE????!!!! what's with that??

anyways, I hope you're enjoying,
I'll see you in the next,
Love you always

- kbabyx