chapter twenty eight | tackles and showers

M E L A N I E   L E I G H T O N

THE WARM MARCH sun beams down on my naked forearms as I stroll down my garden, rugby ball in hand.

"So you got in late last night, did you?" Carter speaks from beside me, a joking tone laced within.

"Yeah," I smirk, looking up at him, making our way down to the very end of the garden where dad has put up two try posts. Yes, he's that extra. "I did. Such a long night."

"Oh really? What did you get up to?" He puts his hand out for the ball as we take a few steps back from each other.

"Oh you know... stuff." I smirk at him now, throwing the ball at him, colliding with his chest.

"Jesus, Mel." He chuckles, the ball clashing with his caused him to take a few steps back, so he moved back into his previous spot. "You've gotten better at that."

"I had a good teacher." I smile back at him. I am definitely not in the right clothes to be doing this, but it's not like my dad even cared. He loves to put me in awkward situations.

"Hmm." He throws the ball back, catching it like he had taught me a few weeks ago. "Was he hot?"

"Uh, he was alright." Throwing the ball back. "A little tall for me. Too tall."

A smirk falls onto his face as he takes a few steps closer. "Maybe you're just too short."

"Oh really?" I question, copying his actions and taking steps closer. Our body's aren't so close that if you looked out the window of my house it would seem odd, but they're close enough that I can smell him.

And he smells good.

"How come you're still wearing my shirt?" He questions. Eyes roaming all over me, smirk growing on his face.

Because it smells like you and I love the smell of you. Is that weird? Yes. Am I going to say it out loud to him? Abso-fucking-lutely not.

"I fell asleep in it." I say instead. It's not a complete and utter lie. I did fall asleep in it, after smelling the shit out of it while I went to bed, knowingly wearing it.

"Sure you did." He smiles, but walks away. "Come on then. Better make daddy Gareth happy and get to work."

My eyes rolls as I huff out a breath. "Yeah, best do." Turning and walking away from him, I walk a couple feet away before stopping.

"You ready for this?" He shouts, I can't help but watch the sun's glimmer on his naked chest. A chest I remember all too well rubbing against my body.

"Ready for what? It's throwing and catching a ball!" I yell back, even if I have gotten better since the last time, It doesn't mean I was terrible at it to begin with.

"Your dad and I were working on tackling, actually. So, it isn't just throwing a catching a ball."

My mouth drops open, I groan leaving me. "You're joking me!"

"Nope." He laughs, I hate tackling. It's not exactly fun running around a field at age ten, with your brother who's double your size already, tackling you to the ground.