chapter twenty three | hallway conversations

M E L A N I E   L E I G H T O N

"SPILL EVERYTHING NOW." I say, sitting down next to Jessica in form that morning. I haven't seen her since she left Carter's last night, even if I spoke to her on the floor, she only really said they kissed.

I want full details.

Jess blushes brightly, shaking her head as she giggles to herself, leaning closer to me as she starts to whisper, so no one hears.

"Well, we kissed." She smiles and I laugh.

"Yeah, I know that much. But like... how did it happen?" I question, getting a little bit too excited to hear about this.

"Well. I don't really know. I mean, there was some crazy flirting going on all day, and especially at Carter's." She shakes her head as she talks and I nod along, yes there was from them pair, and Carter and I.

"And then in the taxi, I dunno, he was just really touchy and being really funny, looking at me all weird, we got out and he just followed me into the house, my mam and dad were in the kitchen so he could get in without them seeing, but when we got to my room... he changed."

She grabs my hands and leans in even more. "I took my blazer off and just as I threw it onto the chair he grabbed me and just stuck it on me. But Mellie..." she drones out, smiling like a crackhead. "It was so good. Not too much, not too little you know, perfect. After all these years of waiting too. God. I just Lo-"

"You love him?" I whisper shout and shake our intertwined hands.

"Yeah. Yeah I do, Mel. I really do." She squeals and so do I. Thankfully everyone around us is in their own questions so they can't really hear us and we don't look that weird squealing.

"Wait so what happened after?" I question, I know he left, but why?

"We pulled away and he smiles at me, said he'll see me soo and climbed out the window. I didn't speak to him after until this morning and he moved the car off of his drive and beeped the horn." She explains and I smile so brightly. I'm so excited for her, they're just so cute.

"What's happening between you now then?" I ask, I'm sure she doesn't even know, but I want to know!

"Not sure. We didn't really speak about it this morning, but, I dunno, something changed between us, it feels weird, but a good weird, y'know?" She tilts her head as she asks, her big blue eyes watching me.

I nod my head and smile, "Yeah, I know." I know all too well.

"And you and Carter..." she smirks "he drove you to school today didn't he?"

"Yeah." I sigh, not in a sad way, just in a thinking-about-it way.

"What happened there? Was anything said?"

"I called him a girl." I admit, Jess' she's widen and her mouth drops open.

"You called him a girl? Why?" She slightly laughs.

"I don't even know. We were just talking, I said something about him being observant and I called him a girl." I shake my head at myself before remembering. "Oh yeah, and I called him cute."