chapter seven | come for a few drinks?

M E L A N I E L E I G H T O N

"SO" JESS STARTS putting her hands on the table and leaning into it. "The first month of school is up, which means we all go out drinking tonight, down the local pub." Her eyes land on me, "You coming?"

My face flushes red, I hate being asked questions and expected to answer then on the spot, so I don't answer it, I ask a question instead. "But, You're not eighteen."

I'm not a prude, I've been drinking alcohol for as long as I can remember, I'm just surprised they get served in a pub, I'm used to just asking someone to buy it and drinking it in a field.

"Some of us are." She answers "And thankfully, my cousin owns the bar..." that explains it, my cousin would let me drink in her bar too. If she owned one. "She'll let us in there for anything, as long as I don't snitch on her for the time she let a boy in her house while her Mam was away." She says and then looks at Tara. "Which was ten years ago. And she was sixteen."

The table erupts into laughs and then her eyes sober down on mine. "Come for a few drinks with us?" She asks and I smile, but shake my head.

"I shouldn't." I say. "I'm only friends with you girls," I point around the table which consists of Jess, Tara and the twins Hailie and Hannah. "It'll be awkward."

"Nah it won't, plus your brother's going too, it'll be fine." She smiles at me and gives me puppy dog eyes.

"Ah yes." I chuckle "have no friends so sit with baby brother." I add and Jess laughs.

"Baby! That man is double your size." Hannah says loudly her eyes wide open.

"Well yeah. But I was born first and it winds him up when I say it." I explain, "he's my younger brother, he hates it though." I laugh.

"Please come!" Jess begs. "Please?"

"Come one, Mel. You can meet some of the lads too, not all of them have girlfriends, maybe you'll meet one for you?" Tara says now, joining in with Jess with the puppy dog eyes.

"I don't want a boyfriend" I laugh, especially a rugby player. "But, since you're asking so nicely." I say, and I watch as their eyes light up. "I'll come."

❦ ❦ ❦

JESS AND I spent at least an hour in my room trying to find an outfit, eventually we ended up with black jeans, old battered converse and an old band T that was my fathers, with the front tucked in.

I've been to enough pubs in my life to know that no one really cares how you look in there, you just got to be up for shots and drinking the bar dry.

However, tonight I decided I wouldn't be drinking all that much. One drink at the very start so by the time it's time to leave, I can still drive.

Which mean, Jess has taken that with both hands and decided to come with me. Which is fine, especially with the fact that we have similar music taste, so any song she has put on, I love.

She gives me directions to the pub, which is only a quick ten minute drive, and then parking up next to what I've found is my brothers car.

Climbing out, I throw my keys into my back pocket, along with my phone, and follow Jess inside.

It's exactly like every other pub. Rowdy, loud, stinks of men and alcohol. And yet, for some reason I feel completely at home. It smells exactly like a pub would after a game.