c h a p t e r ♕ t w o

***3 MONTHS AGO***

"Come on, Franny, it'll be fun!!" Vivienne pleads, her hands clasped together in front of her chest. Her big brown eyes looking pitiful like a little puppy dog.

"Ugh no! You've met my father. He would murder me. 'Here lies Francesca Rossi, killed by her father, Enzo Rossi, the Don.' would be perfect on my headstone don't you think??" I hold my hands dramatically up in the sky. 

"Oh would you calm down, we're going to a dance. Not skipping the country." Gemma rolls her eyes. 

"And to my father that's practically the same thing." I walk backwards down the sidewalk, facing my friends. 

"But Leo is going!" Vivi adds, pointing her finger at me.

"What my brother does has nothing to do with me. Besides since he found out my father plans on making him a made man at the end of the summer, he's started treating me differently." I groan turning around. 

"Maybe if you just asked Leo nicely..." Vivi persists.

I scoff and roll my eyes, 'ask Leo' she says. Though i was 17 and Leo only 14, he had a world of more freedoms than i did. 

Becoming a made man in our world was like telling a boy he could now do anything he pleases. I understand the price to be inducted into the mafia is taking a life at there mere age of fifteen, but i can't help but to wonder if that is something i would be okay with for myself. 

Not like i would ever get the option though, to them i am just a measly woman. Even though i grew up knowing a lady should stay in her place, i couldn't lie, i was jealous of him. Seeing him come and go as he pleases makes me yearn for the outside world that much more. 

"I said no Vivi. You don't understand. Yeah, you have strict Italian parents too but your father isn't the Don of west New York. I'm not going and thats final." I snap, my knuckles turning white as i dig my nails into the palms of my hands. 

My eyes trace the black escalade as it drives slowly down the street next to us. I suddenly felt suffocated. After begging my father for months, i was finally granted the freedom to walk home from school. What i hadn't realized is that the deal came with the security entourage following me home anyways. 

If they only knew how much i wished to go, they wouldn't try to waver my self control. The girls fall silent once more, which i'm grateful for. But I'm afraid my bereavement just sounded awfully similar to that of my fathers. 

"Sorry guys. See you Monday." I murmur before turning down the road that leads to my house, the black escalade turning in suit behind me.