c h a p t e r ♔ f o u r t y - s e v e n

I paced the floors of yet another bridal store, flipping through hundreds of dresses. I huffed, feeling the sting of tears brimming my eyes. I let go of the plastic coverings of the dresses and walked away from the racks carrying dozens of designer gowns. I turned away from my mother and sister, making my way towards the entrance of the store.

Flinging open the glass door, i inhaled a deep breath of fresh air and quickly strode down the side walk. I felt the immediate bite of Tony shoes walking directly on my heels as i walked away from the shop as fast as i could. I turned around causing Tony to almost run over me. "I just need a minute do you mind?" I snapped at the wide eyed man in front of me. "Sorry, I'll be back here." He gestured to the other side of the sidewalk.

I ran my fingers through my silky dark hair, breathing out a stressed sigh. "I'm sorry." I muttered. I threw my bag back over my shoulder and walked into a coffee shop adjacent to the bridal store and ordered a latte. I sat in silence, staring at my now cooled cup of coffee on the table in front of me.

I was more than thrilled to plan this exceptional wedding for Tom and I, so i didn't quite understand why i was so engulfed with disappointment about every little detail. I felt as if my mind was nit picking at the tiniest things, deciding it wasn't perfect enough to marry a man such as Tom. Everything about loving him was beyond perfect, so why wasn't this wedding?

The metal chair across from me scraped against the cement floor as Isabella took the seat across from me. "Cooled off yet?" She asked as she sat down in the gray chair. "Who? Me or the coffee?" I joked bitterly, still not looking up from foam on top of my drink. I traced my finger around the white porcelain brim, wishing i didn't have to talk to anyone about anything right now.

"We will find you the perfect dress Fran." Bella tried to reach her hand out to mine but i instinctually withdrew into my metaphorical turtle shell, tucking my arms into my chest. She sighed and leaned back into her own chair as i felt her stare burn into me. "You know Tom won't care. He will get you any dress in the world if you want it."

I sighed and fluttered my eyes closed. "I know. I don't even think this is about the dress i just- i feel like everything should be going perfect and it's not and it's freaking me out." I cupped my fingers over my worried brown eyes and rubbed them.

"I think you just have a lot on your mind. You don't do well when you're stressed you know?" She looked at me with the same expression as my mother did so often. I smiled to myself, seeing all the wonderful parts of my mother tucked away in my sister Bella. "Yeah." I nodded, maybe she knew me a lot better than i gave her credit for. Through everything, Bella was always there.

"Well... I kind of have some news that might help you be a little less stressed." Isabella's face lit up as she spoke. Her eyes glimmered and her mouth blossomed into a beautiful smile as she wriggled around in her seat, bursting at the seams.

I looked around momentarily, wondering what she could possibly have to tell me. Bella had been glued to my side for months, what possibly could she be hiding from me? "Well... mother and I will be leaving you soon." She fessed up, biting her bottom lip.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh really? and where will you go?" I decided to play into her little schematics. "Chicago. Where i will marry Alessandro the moment i turn eighteen." She placed her baby pink manicured nails over her mouth as she tried to hide excitement. "You're kidding?" I pushed the coffee forward, leaning my arms against the small cafe table.

She shook her head, watching the shock over take my expression. "Tom planned it. Alessandro's mother will see to it that i finish school and become the perfect woman for him to marry. The day i turn eighteen we are to wed. Part of the deal is that mother can stay on the property with me and will help take care of our children." She traced around the ceiling with her big brown eyes as she spoke, too excited to even look me in the eyes.

"No." I shook my head.

"No?" Isabella's shoulders fell as she sunk down into the seat.

"He's far too old for you Bella." I placed my hands in front of me, waving even the idea of them together away from me. She rolled her eyes and tucked her arms in front of her chest as she put on a display of attitude the entire cafe would be able to read.

"He's only seven years older. and besides, you're the reason Tom even needed to make amends with Alessandro. Can't you just be happy for me that i will be a Dona just like you? Or you just can't fathom that i could find happiness where i need to?"

My jaw dropped. "Bells i didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. Just please, be happy for me for once." She pleaded with her hands clasped in front of her chest. I nodded vigorously and apologetically. I truly never meant to upset my sister, i just wanted to protect her like i wish someone would have protected me.

"If this is what you truly want." I reached my hand out, coming out of my little cocoon i confided myself from the world in. "It is." She squeezed my hand, reassuring me that my future husband really made the right choice for her best interest.

"Now, let's plan your wedding." She grinned brightly, standing up from the tiny table. I giggled, following her out of the cafe.