c h a p t e r ♕ t h i r t y - f o u r

I threw myself atop my messy unmade bed that Gemma and Vivi slept in last night. I watched as my tears stained black with mascara soaked into my pristine white sheets. I didn't care anymore, i was just so damn tired.

I ran my fingertips over the blood crusted on the bottom of my lip where it was busted open. My father had never hit me before. It made my mind wander to what else he was capable of when it came to me. Would he strangle the life out of me as he has done so many others?

I pulled the phone from under my pillow and texted Tom.

Me; I love you.

Tom; Francesca? Are you okay?

Me; No.

Tom; I'm so sorry. I love you too.

A few hours later i awoke to the smell of roasted chicken emanating from the kitchen down stairs. With out even a second thought, i groggily made my way down stairs.

I rounded the dining room corner and was startled by my mothers gasp. "Francesca, what happened to your face?" My mother placed her hand over her mouth.

Suddenly, the events of the last 24 hours rushed to my mind.

My eyes flashed towards my father and back towards my mother. "Ask him." I said dryly before walking around the table to take my spot.

"No." My father said as i began to take my seat.

"No what?" I bit back.

"This table is for family. You are no longer family." My father picked up his glass of wine as my jaw dropped.

"You cannot be serious. All for falling in love with a boy?"

"You are no longer family as you are to marry Alessandro Moretti. You are now his family." He took a slow sip of his wine.

"What!?" I screamed.

"Bella, Leo go to your rooms" My mother demanded quietly.

"Leo stay." My father demanded. I scoffed under my breath as i rolled my eyes.

"I'm not marrying Alessandro. I won't." I shook my head.

"You have no choice." My father shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"I'll runaway."

"Okay. I'll hunt you down."

"This is so fucking unfair. You risked war with the east outfit for mom. Let me make my own decisions." i pleaded with my father as tears began to stream down my face.

Neither of my parents said a word.

"You're letting him do this to me!?" I screamed towards my mother.

"It's your duty as a Don's daughter-" She spoke calmly.

"What would you know about duty? You were just some outsider until father broke the rules for you." I spit bitterly at my mother.

"The deal has been made for some time Francesca. Why do you think Alessandro has been visiting? You're eighteen now, the time has come to take your rightful place as his wife." My father downed the rest of his wine.

My chest heaved as my cry began to grow stronger. I would leave soon for Chicago to never see the love of my life again. I would forever be deprived of the way he cared me so effortlessly.

"So this is it? My life is over?" I cried, hoping my father would show some mercy. But deep down i knew my tears would never make a dent on his cold steel heart.

"Think of it as a new beginning Fran." Leo chimed in. My gaze fell to him as my insides filled with rage. He was everything i wanted out of this life; free.