c h a p t e r ♔ t w e n t y - n i n e

My pencil seemed to drag itself across the pages of my notebook. My hand drew swirls around the page, never releasing the tension of the lead from the paper. I sighed deeply.

"Uh Franny?" Gemma asked. I looked up to find both her and Vivi staring at me.

"What?"

"Why are you smiling at your notebook and drawing hearts all over the page?" Gemma points her pastel purple manicured hand to my journal.

My eyes quickly fall down to the page. Damn, i really was. Tom has my brain is absolute la la land. It's actually pretty pitiful.

"I guess you and Tom are back together?" Vivienne asks, batting her eyelashes at me.

"I guess you could say that." I bit the inside of my cheek, stifling a smile. The bell rung, our classmates began to scramble from their desks. I lingered a few moments collecting our things so the girls and i could walk alone.

"Oh good... well maybe you guys could hook me up with that Georg guy. Man he is HOT." She wiggles her fingers out in front of her as she says the word 'hot'. I roll my eyes giggling at her.

"Yeah, maybe." I murmured knowing damn well i could never involve Vivi in this life. For one, the girl couldn't keep her mouth closed to save her life. Two, i knew i was involving myself with a very dangerous man. By good conscience i could never let Vivi follow in my foot steps.

"Francesca Rossi?" Said a man behind me.

"Who wants to know?" I spun around, still holding my school books.

"NYDP. You need to come with us." My eyes shoot to Gemma and Vivienne's terrified expressions.

Something had to have happened. Either they know about our families ties to organized crime, or my family is dead. And since this wasn't the FBI approaching me i'm sure it was the latter option.

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" I asked, tucking my books tighter into my school uniform.

"We will explain everything at the office. You just need to come with us." The man stated firmly. He peered around the hallway.

I looked around too, to find all my peers starting at me. I could basically feel the whispers of the room weighing down on me.

"No. Tell me what's going on. Now. Or i'm not going." I walked towards my locker, away from the three police men. I spun the knob on my locker, putting in my combination. As soon as my books hit the shelf i felt hands tugging at my arms.

"Hey what are you-" I said confused. The second police man began to put my hands behind my back as i heard the jingle of the metal handcuffs.

"GET THE FUCK OFF OF HER!" Gemma rushes towards the police officer.

"Stand down." Says the third cop as he draws his taser, pointing it at my awe struck friend. She stops in her place, her arms in the air in front of her.

"Gem don't, it's okay." I put my hands behind my back, refusing to resist. They didn't have a reason to keep me in custody, and i wouldn't give them one by not complying.

I hung my head not in shame but in defeat. I had felt powerless my entire life as a girl in the mafia, but it was nothing like this. With my father as the Don, i knew i could get out of basically any situation. But being entangled with the feds was a whole different game.

They drove me to the police station in the back of a car like some common criminal. They walked me past the jail, through a set of heavy locked doors and to an interrogation room.

A nice younger woman came in and removed my not so designer bracelets the first officer left around my wrists. "Thanks." I mumbled with a small smile. She replied with a tiny pitiful smile of her own before walking out of the room, leaving me alone once again.