c h a p t e r ♕ f o u r

"Let me use your phone to call Leo." I demand as we walk down our suburban street. I was sure he was in the city, that's where he spent most of his weekends now anyways. I dial the number as fast as my little thumbs can type.

"Shit." I spit as it immediately goes to voicemail. I dial a second number, "Yeah i need a cab to Casey's Convenience store....mhm... west 3rd street. Thanks." I hang up and hand Gemma back her phone. 

"Let's go wait at Casey's, i called a cab to take us into the city." I walk down the side walk, away from my house and away from everything i hated about my life.

I know i dream and yearn for freedom but this kind just felt... wrong. I want to experience the kind that didn't make my stomach twist into knots and i didn't look over my shoulder for my father and his men the entire time.

"Do you think we should tell your dad?" Gemma says, more serious than i have heard her in a long time. I think she's scared for Leo, and though i am too, i am not crazy enough to get my father involved.

Gemma's father is one of my fathers most loyal soldiers. They grew up together, became made men together but the difference was Gemma had a relationship with hers. I did not.

"If my father knew an almost made man was running around the city causing trouble with the enemy, he would beat Leo senseless. Not to mention you would probably never see me again if he knew i snuck out. An all girls catholic school is pushing it as it is, one mess up and i'm home schooled." I explain. 

I wish i could rely on my family and go to them in times of need like Gemma could, but that's not the life i've been given. That would never be an option for a girl like me.

"You call a cab?" The older man says as he pulls up in a shiny classic New York City cab next to us. 

"Yeah." I open the door and slide into the back. 

"Where to miss?" He asks, adjusting the rearview mirror so he can see me. 

"Head into the city. I'll let you know from there." I demand. 

"You got it." 

Being outside my house at night time felt so strange. The air felt thicker and cooler. I surprisingly felt naked with out an entourage of security trailing closely behind me.

"SHIT. SHIT. STOP HERE!!" Vivi screams and jumps out of the cab before i even realize what's going on. 

Gemma follows closely behind, blocking my view from where Vivi ran off too. Then as soon as her shoulder turned, i saw him. 

Leonardo was cowered down on the asphalt, his arms shakily holding him up. The punches seemed to rain down on him in slow motion. As the boy's fist connected to my brothers face, a spray of blood spewed across the ground.

"STOP!" I screamed as i marched up to my brother.

"Franny, don't." My little brother weakly pleads. I know how it looks for a man in the mafia to be saved by a measly woman but i didn't care. I wasn't going to watch my brother be beaten into the ground. 

I step between my brother and the boy who's fist lie covered in my brothers blood. I could hear Gemma and Vivi pick Leo up and drag him away behind me. 

As i stare into the brown eyes of the boy with long silky hair, he makes another move towards my brother. With out hesitation, my hand pulls the knife from my pocket, flicking it open. 

The boy smirks, taking a few steps closer to me. I feel the knife begin to shake between my finger tips. Just because i didn't want to use it, didn't mean i wouldn't. I would protect my brother with my life.

"Georg, no." Calls out a voice behind my brother's attacker.

Georg places his hands up, surrendering and turns away from me. I watch closely as he walks away, not wanting to let my guard down. 

Suddenly, from the shadows, i see a figure slowly approaching. 

My breath shutters as the most beautiful boy i have ever seen in my entire life becomes illuminated by the street lamp. His steps crunch on the rocks of the pavement as he approaches me. 

I can't take my eyes off of him. He is beyond mesmerizing, he is beyond anything i have ever seen. 

Before i know it, he is standing just a few inches from me. Though he stays silent, his eyes speak novels of what he could do to me as he sizes me up and down. 

His hand reaches for mine, and i don't pull away. He removes the knife from my grasp, shutting it in one smooth motion without removing his eyes from mine. 

He places the knife back into my hand before letting his eyes trail over my stockings once more. Leaning closer to me, i begin to smell the strong woody fragrance of his cologne. I notice my heart slamming inside my chest, my breath becoming harder to catch.

"The daughter of a Don shouldn't be out here all alone. Go home Francesca." He whispers into the side of my face. Every follicle of hair on my body stands to attention as he sends a massive wave of chills down me.

I nod. 

And just like that, he turns and vanishes once again into the shadows.