c h a p t e r ♔ n i n e t e e n

My eyes shoot open as i sit up in bed, gasping for air. My hand clutches my chest as my heart bangs around my ribs like a hummingbird caught in a cage.

I attempt to swallow but my throat is so dry i begin to cough. i reach for the glass of water on my night stand table, gulping down the sweet relief. My lungs burn as if they are on fire.

My finger slowly traces around the rim of the crystal glass. I go to set it back down and my eye catches the picture of me and my siblings on my bedside table.

It was the summer i turned 7. I remember it so vividly. I smiled so brightly as my mother took our picture in the garden of the lake house.

The lake house.

The memories of my dream and the night last summer come rushing back.

'Kaulitz sold me those pills'

I knew i had heard the name before, i just had never put two and two together.

In a moment of pure and utter chaos in my mind, everything begins to really sink in. Tom sold my little brother the pills that killed our precious Alice.

Surely he didn't know the pills were too strong... right? Of course Leo had built a tolerance to all sorts of party drugs but Alice... sweet little Alice. Her body couldn't handle anything like that.

Just a mere ten minutes after she swallowed that pill, her speech began to slur and her legs began to waiver. Not much after that she went unconscious.

Leonardo tried everything he could to get her to wakeup but nothing worked. He checked her pulse one last time and felt the stillness of her body. She was gone.

He looked up to realize everyone at the party had run for fear of being caught by the police.

Leonardo has lived for ten months with the terrible guilt of having killed his girlfriend. I see the way is grief and loss has changed him. It's a big part of the reason we have drifted apart these past several months.

Tom wouldn't sell my brother bad pills. I know him, he wouldn't. He couldn't.

But i can't shake this horrible feeling i have deep down within my gut. If you think about it, it adds up. The Rossis and the Kaulitzs are rivals of twenty years, they hate each other. What if selling my brother bad pills was a way to weaken our family. Did he hope to kill Leo at the direction of his father?

And if he did... what are his intentions with me?

My hand cups over my mouth as anxiety creeps up my abdomen. I take notice of the stillness filling my room. Have i let the enemy into our lives?

I was so stupid to think Tom's intentions were anything but destruction. My father always told me east siders were some of the most evil and conniving people in existence. I just wish i had listened to him.

I let Tom into my heart so easily. I feel as if i have made a mistake.