c h a p t e r ♕ t w e n t y - s i x

I cleared my throat as i took my place between my siblings at the dinner table. I looked down to find the pea soup was gone, but in place of it was roasted chicken drizzled with a white wine sauce. I took a small sip of my champagne, washing down the taste of Tom.

My eyes momentarily broke from the table to see Tom sitting back down at his seat. I slowly picked up my fork and knife, cutting off a small piece of chicken.

"Really?" Leo mutters underneath his breath at me as he watches Tom sit down across the table.

I take the chicken into my mouth, chewing slowly. "What?" i asked softly, being sure i wasn't loud enough for Bella to hear.

"Jesus Franny. You could at least try to be a little more discrete." He grits his teeth, turning a glass of champagne between his finger tips.

The entirety of dinner felt like a chore. The most stunning man i have ever met sat just a mere ten feet away from me and i couldn't even look at him. I wanted every person i the room to know my heart belonged to him, but they never would.

I stood diligently behind my parents as they made conversation with the most powerful mafia families from all over the country.

"Francesca, i'd like you to meet Alessandro Moretti. His father is the Don of ALL of Chicago." My fathers face illuminates at the word all. He looks at Alessandro with more endearment than i have ever seen from him in my entire existence.

I peer around my mothers shoulder, catching my first glance of Alessandro. He was incredibly handsome. He was definitely older than me, i'm just not sure by how much. I'm assuming he was around twenty five.

Fluffy dark hair sat nicely just above his thick eyebrows. His eyes weren't that of a typical Italian man. They were a stunning bright blue. He wore a dark gray suit that fit him exceptionally.

"Nice to meet you." I smiled softly at Alessandro, sticking out my hand for him to shake.

The man took my hand into his ever so delicately. He looked deeply into my eyes as he raised my hand to his mouth. My cheeks burned bright red as he placed his lips against my knuckles with a kiss.

"A pleasure miss Francesca." He grins devilishly through the corner of his mouth.

I can feel the burning sensation of a stare from across the room. I knew Tom would be watching me, but i wasn't sure how closely. He must know i have to keep appearances and this formal introduction meant nothing.

"How are you enjoying your stay here in New York?" My father eagerly begins conversation with Alessandro.

"It's beautiful here this time of year." His eyes travel the length of my legs and back up to my face as he speaks.

I shift uncomfortably wishing i could be anywhere but here right now. I didn't want other men to look at me this way, i only wanted Tom. I down the rest of my champagne in one gulp.

"You know i was thinking about taking the family on a trip to Chicago sometime." My father chats happily. I smile softly and excuse myself from the conversation.

I place my empty champagne flute on an empty tray of a waiter as he walks past me. I spied Bella as she sat on a love seat across the room.

Italians could talk and drink forever so i didn't suppose this party would be over anytime soon. I sat down next to Bella who leaned her head against my shoulder and sighed. I stole a quick glance at the clock on the wall.

God i wish time would move faster so i could go home and read my book. Theres only one reason worth being here and i can't even admire him from afar. Well... what if i just stole a quick peak at him? Surely no one would notice.

I turned my head slowly, acting as if i was surveying the room. They finally stopped as i saw Tom sitting in a big lounge chair, talking to an older man. The crystal glass of whiskey grasped tightly in his hand managed to make me a bit jealous. I wish that were me.

He sat leaned slightly back in a relaxed manner. His muscular thighs were basically bursting his tight black slacks at the seams. His eyes peered up at me, watching me study his frame. I bit the inside of my lip, smiling just the slightest. He said something to the older man, they both laughed.

I felt as if my stare was continuing for longer than would be safe, so i pulled my eyes away. I found my father standing next to Alessandro, looking towards the couch that held me and my siblings. My father pointed to us with the cigar in his hands and i felt color brush my cheeks.

What could they possibly be talking about?

Finally at about 11:30 my father announced it was time for us to go. Many mafia men groaned and begged him to stay. My father joked with them for a moment more before heading towards the door.

I was more than relieved to say the least.

The car ride home was silent, but my father kept stealing glances at me. I stayed with my face forward, pretending i didn't notice.

What did he know?

I jumped out of the car, heading to my room away from being ogled. I pranced my way up the big marble steps. I winced at the last step as my feet were aching inside these heels.

As i approached my bedroom door, i felt the vibration of my new cell phone from the cup of my lacy black bra. I entered my room, shutting the door quickly behind me. I ripped the cell phone from my undergarments to see the text on the screen.

'An entire dinner party wasn't enough. I need to see you again tonight. I'm down the street.'