c h a p t e r ♔ t h i r t y - o n e

I felt several eyes on me as i began my decent down the staircase with my two friends on either side of me. My father watched and nodded his head in approval of my appearance. I was honestly getting pretty fed up with how closely he watched me lately. I felt as if i was under a microscope.

My eyes wandered the room and suddenly stopped, "What is he doing here?" I whispered to Gemma.

"Heard your father invited him. Hopes to make closer ties with the Chicago outfit. You didn't know he was coming?" She side glances quickly at me as we approach the bottom of the stairs.

I shake my head no.

"Francesca. How wonderful to see you again." Alessandro places his hand out to escort me from the last few steps.

"Nice to see you. I had no idea you'd be here." I perked my lips up in a little smile.

"Hope you don't mind? It is your special day after all."

"No not at all, It's nice to spend time with my father's friends." I nod reassuringly, though i did mind his presence. I honestly didn't care to talk to him at all.

"I hope you will soon consider me a friend of your own, not just your fathers." His light eyes bore down into me as he spoke. God, i hated the feeling of being under his gaze.

"Of course." I nodded softly.

"New necklace?" He gestures towards my neck.

"Yeah. How did you know?"

"You keep messing with it. Means you're not used to wearing it. Besides, worn gold tarnishes a certain color, yours is shiny and new." He smirks.

I nod softly at his very close observation. "Yes... My friends bought it for me." I gestured towards Gemma and Vivi who stood in the door way of the kitchen momentarily glancing in our direction.

"Beautiful gift from a... friend." He smirks.

"Come dance with me!!" Vivi suddenly pulls my hand, dragging me away from Alessandro.

"Thank you." I whispered softly as she lead me outside to the rest of the party. Music began to flood the air as the band my father hired readied up their instruments.

Vivi and i giggled as we swirled gracefully around the dance floor, wrapped in each others arms. I take a mental snapshot as this has now become one of the happiest moments in my life. My heart feels so full of love and friendship as i am surrounded by all the people i keep the closest. Well, besides one important person that is.

The song ends and my father hands me a flute of champagne before taking my hand in his. He raises his glass as he begins his toast, "To my dear Francesca as she begins the next chapter of her life. Congratulations to you and my tag along daughters, Gemma and Vivienne. And happy 18th birthday mia figlia. SALUTE!"

The room erupts in cheers and salutes as we all raise our glasses. The music begins once more and a flood of people make their way to the dance floor.

The rest of my special day was filled with food, laughter and dancing. The tables were now littered with empty champagne and whiskey bottles. I swayed drunkenly around the dance floor with Gemma as our guests began to slowly disappear one by one.

"Alright crazy girls. Time for bed." My mother looks at us from the doorway of the house.

I stop dancing and look towards Vivi as she lays asleep on a sun tanning lounger by the pool. I then turn towards Gemma who's hair barettes are now on the ends of her hair. I nod slowly, we were a fucking mess.

"Yeah, that's probably a good call." I murmur. God was i wasted.

Gemma and I drag Vivi upstairs to my bedroom. I rustle around my drawers, throwing a pair of pajamas to each of my friends as they lie atop my bed. I turn to find them both fast asleep, shoes on and everything.

That's when i hear the vibration of my phone below Vivi's pillow. I grab the phone, not even worried that i may disturb Vivi, she's out cold.

A text message from Tom read;

Tom: Dying to see you. Pick you up in 10?

Me: Can't wait.