Chapter Eight

Beginning their investigation into the vigilante, Detective James, Captain Thomas, and an investigation team tried to scope around town, visiting the two places he was claimed to have been seen.

The first one was the alleyway where Henry tried to mug Cassie. It was in Lincoln Square, which was close to the other sighting: by the 7-11 in Hell's Kitchen, on Eighth Avenue.

James: So the rumored "vigilante" either stays close to this area, or he's able to access it quickly, meaning he has transportation.

Thomas: Seems that way. It would be unlikely for him to live somewhere besides Manhattan. And the two crimes in this area were solved quickly because no harm was done, and the criminals weren't able to escape.

James: Good point. That means he was likely looking for criminals to stop. See anything of interest in this alley?

Thomas: Not particularly. Nothing of use left behind, but we could check for DNA.

James: I'll get them to work on that, but I'm sure if what the accounts say is true, we'd be hard-pressed to find any, since all accounts say the vigilante was fully covered, meaning that he most likely was wearing gloves and boots.

Thomas: Right, I'm still skeptical of the whole thing until we find proof, but working this case could connect us with the mugger case. Did you get interrogators on the 7-11 suspect?

James: Yeah. We can check back in with them once we are done here to see if they got anything useful out of him.

Thomas: Good idea.

James: Guys, see what you can find. We'll keep looking on the other side of the alley.

As the investigators checked for DNA and other things of note, the two men looked around for any clues on the other side, but nothing here was new; everything was already checked, including the blood of the now-deceased Henry, some fallen items from Cassie's purse, and the gun used by Henry. Nothing leading to a vigilante was anywhere around. This guy was good, if he even existed.

They had already investigated the Henry case for days. The death of Henry didn't seem like the work of a vigilante. Why kill a criminal who was already being taken to jail? And why threaten the cops? Sure, Henry was shot to death, and multiple accounts say the vigilante was armed, but it didn't make sense to James or Thomas. This whole situation made no sense, but these random murders had been happening for years, but never with a direct threat to the police.

James: There's been murder cases over the past decade or so in Manhattan, but do you think they could be related to Henry's?

Thomas: I don't know; let's go visit Officer Anton's son.

Meanwhile...

In an interrogation room, Blake Richmond was busy being questioned by Interrogator Olivia Ramirez, a stern lady who didn't take lying or disrespect.

Olivia: So you're telling me, you saw a guy in a "suit of armor", who was apparently John Wick, and arrested you for no reason?

Blake: Yes! I didn't do nothing!

Olivia: Yeah, sure you didn't. Why would some random guy try to arrest you then, for one, did he just feel like cuffing someone today, in the literal sense?

Blake: Uh—-

Olivia: And for two, let's say he did exist. The bag of money had your fingerprints on it.