Chapter Thirty-Seven

SEVEN YEARS AGO

Demetrius was eating his cake, and Mike had finished his.

Mike: Okay, follow me.

Demetrius: But I'm not done with—-

Mike: Trust me. You'll love this more than cake.

When everyone was distracted, Mike led Demetrius outside the apartment, and then to the elevator. When they went down, two familiar faces stopped them.

Mr. Derrick: Where the hell are you two going?

Mr. Joe was next to him, and it seemed the two had clearly been arguing.

Mr. Joe: It's getting kinda late kids, maybe you should go back to the—

Mike: I'm just quickly showing Demetrius his gift, then we'll be right back up!

Mr. Joe: Fine, but I'm coming.

Mike gave a look at him.

Mike: Well, if you stand by the door, then I guess. We're just going down the street.

Mr. Joe sighed.

Mr. Joe: Hurry up, if I see anything you're coming back into this building.

Mike: Okay!

He grabbed Demetrius.

Mike: Come on!

They raced down the street, Demetrius following Mike. When they got down the block, Demetrius saw something wrapped in gift wrap.

Demetrius: This is huge! Is this what I think it is?

Mike: Yeah, open it!

He opened the gift, and when he tore off the gift wrap:

Demetrius: A car?

Mike: Yep.

Demetrius: Wow, but I'm only 11! So are you!

Mike: Yeah, my brother bought it.

Demetrius: Ethan?

Mike: Yep.

Demetrius gave Mike a hug.

Demetrius: Well, either way, thank you both!

Mike: Yep, happy birthday, man.

Demetrius looked at the car.

Demetrius: But I won't be able to really do anything with it for like 3-5 years, so...

Mike: Well....good to start early isn't it?

Demetrius shrugged. But the pair weren't alone, because in another car across the street...

???: ...

Someone was watching them.

PRESENT DAY

???: Awaken.

Riot's eyes slowly opened, finding himself chained to a wall, and behind the bars of a cell. In front of him was an army of gang members, the assassin he'd been trying to investigate, and right in the middle...

NIGHTMARE: So.

Riot: The hell...?

NIGHTMARE: A vigilante. An actual vigilante.

Knightbird: What should we do with him?

NIGHTMARE: Well, it's clear he still remembers his beating, but I'm more curious who that man is behind the mask.