Chapter Seventeen

Out of the blue, the random man grabbed Sophia and pulled her close to him. Everyone in the crowd looked shocked as he dragged her into an alley.

Grace: What the hell?

Cassie: Oh no!

The man held her against a wall. Grace and Cassie attempted to pull him off of her.

Grace: Get off!

After more minutes of struggling, Sophia spoke.

Sophia: Okay, this isn't working.

The man let her go.

Guy: Oh. Well, you got my 20$?

She gave him a 20-dollar bill, and he thanked her and walked off.

Cassie: Well, it was a good try.

Sophia: Yep.

Grace: The hell?

Sophia: What? You said you wanted to bait him out, and Cassie didn't want to do it, so I volunteered.

Grace: And you didn't tell me?

Sophia: Meh, it would be funnier.

Cassie: Yep.

Grace: You knew about this?

Cassie: Well, maybe.

People around them were giving them confused stares. The girls walked off. The girl in a hood looked at the trio, then she walked off as well, but not before sending a text to K.

???: All clear. Nothing of interest, sir.

She was sending a text to a contact named ???.

The three ladies kept walking down the block.

Cassie: Well, I guess it's time to go. We can try another method of making contact with him or something.

Her dad called her.

Cassie: Oh boy...

Meanwhile...

Ricardo was in the station calling his daughter while other cops were either in the infirmary or the morgue. She finally picked up.

Ricardo: Cassie! What the hell are you doing out this late on the streets?

Cassie: (Phone) How...did you know that?

Ricardo: Because I saw you on your friend's livestream!

Cassie: How...?

Ricardo: Don't worry about that! You get home right now!

He hung up the phone. Other officers were busy still trying to recover from the events of the previous night. 5% of the force was killed in the attack. Officer Thomas came out from his office. He looked extremely upset.

Thomas: How are you guys holding up?

Some officers looked at him.

Maria: ...Fine...it's just hard right now...

Samantha: Could be better...I can't believe this...

Alex: Well, we did take a major blow...and...we lost good men. Is there anything new on either the vigilante or the assassin?

Thomas: Nothing. Whoever they are, they're both good. We will find them, however. I got patrols watching all of Manhattan.

Alex: Good...that's...the least we can do.