Chapter 17: The Legendary Male God On The Island

On this day, Gu Ling never stopped, even in the rain, she remained busy.

Gu Ling and Li Haixia worked together to make some cloaks and ponchos out of leaves. Wearing these, they could go outside without getting wet.

Infected by Gu Ling, other educated youths were also bustling about. Together, they braved the rain to construct two new sheds, gathered heaps of mushrooms, and Zhou Cheng, along with the rested ox, Niu Dawei, and another male educated youth, Wang Haohan, caught plenty of fish and shrimp. There was enough for everyone to eat for a day or two.

Gu Ling processed the kudzu roots collected a couple of days ago, peeled them, mashed them into a paste, sliced them into strips with bamboo, kneaded them, and turned them into noodles. Boiling them in water with a pinch of salt, green vegetables, cleaned shrimp, wild onions, and mushrooms created a fragrant bowl of kudzu root noodle soup.

Each person had a bowl and after everyone finished eating, Gu Ling started working on the fire pit again.

Li Haixia asked, "What are you trying to do?"

Gu Ling smiled and replied, "I want to smoke some fish. Just eating grilled fish all the time isn't a sustainable solution."

Even the most delicious food will not become boring if they are eaten over and over again. They had to consider not just what to eat at the moment, but also what to eat tomorrow, next week, or even next month, what they would eat.

Looking at the rain curtain, Gu Ling knew the rain would eventually stop. After it did, she could dry the mushrooms and fish. Then, she would consider gathering other things from the woods, like rabbits and pheasants, and get some fat meat to refine the oil, so you can also fry food to eat.

She also planned to search the island for wild wheat or barley to cultivate formally. Later, she might explore to see if there is any way to go to the mainland and perhaps buy some seeds to develop the island. The purpose was to make the island a livable place.

Li Haixia admired Gu Ling from the bottom of her heart, and began to follow her in making smoked fish.

Pine needle smoked fish has a unique aroma and it doesn't take much effort to make it. As Gu Ling looked at the fish in her hand, she couldn't help but think that once conditions improved and resources were abundant, these fish could be made into a lot of fancy dishes, such as sweet and sour fish, pickled fish, flash-fried fish, and spicy fish. Just thinking about it made her mouth water!

The aroma of the fish gradually permeated the air. Due to the hallucinations caused by eating poisonous mushrooms, Peng Xiaoyue eventually fell into a deep sleep from morning until evening.

While Gu Ling was making toothpaste from charcoal and sea salt, Peng Xiaoyue woke up.

She lay in the shed built by the other educated youths and, upon opening her eyes, felt a heavy-headed sensation. It took her a while to realize where she was.

At that moment, Peng Xiaoyue felt a bit aggrieved and wanted to cry.

If it weren't for Lu Yanchen, she wouldn't have come to the island. Initially, there was an intended marriage between Peng's family and Lu's. Unexpectedly, Lu Yanchen refused outright without even seeing her. The two families had a unique relationship, and Lu's parents severely criticized their son, Lu Yanchen. His father even uttered harsh words: "If you've made up your mind not to listen to us, then go guard the island! I don't want to see you again!"

In this day and age, most marriages are arranged by parents. Where did this disobedient son come from?

But the next day, Lu Yanchen packed his things and left. He changed several modes of transport and then took a boat to a small island in the South China Sea, where he stayed for a year. He never returned to the mainland. When soldiers from neighboring countries attempted to invade our country's islands a few times, Lu Yanchen mercilessly overturned their boats and arrested them!