Chapter 34: I Have Someone Now

The scorching month of August passed in the blink of an eye. Gu Ling, along with other educated youths, was busy every day with various tasks such as harvesting crops. Storing the grains ensured they wouldn't fear shortages in winter. Just relying on the crops they cultivated on the reclaimed land would be enough for the educated youth to eat until the following spring. In addition to fish and shrimp caught in the sea, the staple food was not completely consumed during regular times, allowing them to sustain themselves until the next year's wheat harvest.

During this period, not to mention others, even Gu Ling felt unusually plump.

There was simply too much delicious food. The sweet and soft sweet potatoes dug from the ground, when cooked into congee, paired with well-fried ribbon fish, tasted heavenly! 

Zhou Cheng, Wang Haohan, and Niu Dawei caught large fish together, and Gu Ling stewed them into fish head soup. Placing miscellaneous flatbread on top, the crispy bread soaked in fish soup was so fragrant that one would want to swallow their tongue!

Not to mention the seafood-filled dumplings. Chopped snail meat, mixed with chili to form the filling, wrapped in dough made of corn and sorghum flour, each large dumpling was plump and satisfying. Eating them was simply blissful!

She touched her own body and always felt that she had gained weight, especially since her bras had become much tighter.

Every time they cooked something delicious, they would invite Lu Yanchen and the others to join them. However, the soldiers had big appetites, and they felt embarrassed to always come over to eat. But Gu Ling gradually found herself wanting Lu Yanchen to taste whatever delicious dish she made.

It was as if she felt he was pitiable. He would get up at the crack of dawn, busily commanding a group of people, either patrolling various islands or hurrying to build houses for the newly arrived training troops.

Many times, Gu Ling watched Lu Yanchen from afar, seeing him covered in sweat, rushing around.

Clearly, he could stop and live a comfortable life, just like his brothers and sisters in the capital. They could work, drink, play cards, lead a decent, clean, and comfortable life, with the best food and possessions.

Yet, he chose to endure the wind and sun on this island.

Gu Ling noticed that when Lu Yanchen didn't speak, his attractiveness to her was also deadly. She often couldn't help but observe him, and the more she observed, the more she discovered that he seemed to exude a different aura from others from the very core.

Until one day when she went to pick bird eggs and was blocked by Lu Yanchen in the woods.

The bird eggs she had just picked fell into the grass nest with a snap. She nervously looked around, and Lu Yanchen's large hand grabbed her slender waist. He chuckled lowly, saying, "No one will come. Those brats are all busy. I gave them a lot of tasks today, and the other educated youth went to the seaside to catch seafood."

Glancing at his eyes gradually misting up, she knew he wanted to kiss her again. Lifting her foot to kick him, she said, "You rogue!"

Unexpectedly, Lu Yanchen grabbed her calf, pulled her abruptly, and drew her into his arms.

"Let me hug you."

He spoke, kissed the top of her head, and Gu Ling could feel that he had just taken a shower, with a lingering scent of fresh soap on him.

Yet, she realized that she had only leaned into this embrace once or twice before, but gradually, it developed into a familiar feeling that made her somewhat dependent.