Chapter 33: Gu Ya Was Beaten Until She Became Deaf!

Because there were orders from above, some people were quickly sent down to assist Lu Yanchen. He arranged for people to go to the mainland to purchase the necessary materials for building houses and, following Gu Ling's example, actively used the existing materials on the island to construct houses.

Not only were they building houses, but they also needed to develop farmland, among other things. When the stationed troops arrived, along with the new educated youths, the necessities of life would increase.

Lu Yanchen sought Gu Ling's advice and decided to build the houses for the stationed troops and the young workers a bit farther away from Gu Ling's group. It was close enough to walk over for easy communication, but not so close as to interfere with each other. This way, each group could develop independently without causing disruption.

While Lu Yanchen was busy with these tasks, Gu Ling and others were preparing for the autumn harvest.

First, the sesame seeds were ready to be harvested. Due to the hot weather, they had to get up early in the morning to cut the sesame. The mature sesame seeds were bundled and placed on oiled cloth. By noon, under the scorching sun, the sesame seeds burst out one by one.

In the afternoon, when it was not as hot, people manually poured out the sesame seeds from the shells. The remaining sesame stalks were excellent for burning in stoves—high heat with little ash. Gu Ling neatly stacked them under the eaves, ready to be used when needed.

The harvested sesame is dried thoroughly, and there are various ways to enjoy it.

Sprinkling a bit of sesame in everyday cooking adds a delightful fragrance. It can also be used to make sesame pancakes, crispy and delicious—you can easily eat several at once!

In addition, Gu Ling and Li Haixia are figuring out how to make a millstone. With it, they can directly extract sesame oil and make sesame sauce.

Although it was a bit troublesome, they managed to complete it after two busy days.

Sesame grown by themselves, sesame oil squeezed by their own hands, poured onto tenderly stewed eggs—the aroma is so enticing that it could lift one's soul!

 Sesame sauce mixed with noodles is even more fragrant; it's delicious even without any other ingredients. After everyone tried it, they expressed their desire to continue growing sesame next year!

After finishing with the sesame, the next harvest is corn and sorghum. Gu Ling used the newly harvested corn to make a pot of coarse congee, a specialty of the northeast. A comrade from the northeast, serving in the army here, took a sip and immediately exclaimed, "It tastes just like the one my mom makes!"

The coarse congee made from corn kernels has a stickiness and thickness that surpasses other congees. The fragrance of the grains is soft and inviting, providing a comforting sensation throughout the internal organs.

As Lu Yanchen is not present, Gu Ling, after some contemplation, decides to set aside a bowl of coarse congee for him.

When Lu Yanchen returns from the mainland in the evening, she casually serves the congee to him, saying, "Have some."

Seeing this specially reserved bowl of congee, Lu Yanchen's tired expression suddenly relaxes at the corners of his eyes and eyebrows. He takes a sip, finding the congee warm, fragrant, and delicious. Delighted, he can't help but express his affection with undisguised love in his eyes.

Gu Ling clears her throat and reminds him, "Take it easy."

Currently, they are essentially in an underground relationship and have no intention of telling others, considering the potential awkwardness with people like Peng Xiaoyue and Sun Pingfang.