Chapter 37: Gu Ling Hugged Her And Cried Bitterly

The sound of the tide before nightfall seemed desolate, with intermittent gusts of chilly wind. Lu Yanchen held her tightly in his arms, and finally, his heart settled down.

Gu Ling looked up at him. "Why did you come?"

Lu Yanchen raised his hand to help her tidy up a few strands of hair that the wind had scattered. His voice was full of tenderness. "I knew you came here today, so in the evening, I noticed that you weren't on the returning boat. I couldn't rest easy, so I came immediately."

These words warmed Gu Ling's heart, and her eyes became moist. She felt like crying.

Sensing her change in mood, Lu Yanchen held her even tighter. "What's wrong?"

Gu Ling sighed lightly, trying hard not to cry. "Today, I came here to make a call for my good friend Lin Huining. She asked me to investigate the truth about my mother's accident many years ago. I thought something might have happened on that end. She wouldn't tell me, so I had to go and ask the old fishermen who might have witnessed my mother's accident. Unfortunately, I didn't get any particularly useful information."

Lu Yanchen had never seen her like this before—her complexion was a bit pale, her hair slightly disheveled, and her eyes sparkled with moist light. Every word she uttered seemed filled with heartbreak and weakness.

He gently held her hand. "Before, whenever I came to the mainland, I also asked about it incidentally for you. However, I didn't have the chance to investigate thoroughly. How about this? We can't go back tonight; it's dangerous to sail on the sea at night. We can only stay overnight on the mainland. Tomorrow, we can go door-to-door together to inquire. We'll surely gather some useful information."

With no other choice, Gu Ling sniffed, suppressing the sadness, and decided to go to the guesthouse with Lu Yanchen.

But thinking that the two of them would actually stay at a guesthouse—would it be one room or two?

She thought they would probably need two rooms...

However, the idea of a man and a woman staying in a guesthouse together might lead to misunderstandings. She couldn't help but blush, thinking about Lu Yanchen's passionate actions in the little grove before.

But unexpectedly, Lu Yanchen didn't take her to the guesthouse. Instead, he held her hand and walked west along the streets of the small county town, and she had no idea where they were heading.

Before Gu Ling could ask, Lu Yanchen proactively explained, "The guesthouse doesn't have a great environment. The bedding and beds inside are not very clean. It's mostly a temporary place for people from out of town on business trips. There are a lot of bugs and such; you definitely won't be comfortable staying there. I'll take you to Aunt Wu's place."

Gu Ling asked in confusion, "Who is Aunt Wu?"

"Aunt Wu is a teacher in this county town. She teaches at the elementary school and loves flowers. There are many flowers in her courtyard, and her house is very clean and tidy. When we were chasing fugitives before, we went to her house to borrow water. The flowers I bought for you last time were also from her. Let's stay at her place for the night. She won't accept money for sure. We can buy some fruits on the way."

Aunt Wu was a well-known good person in the small county town. She often took care of students whose parents were too busy to look after them.

In no time, they passed by a shop, and Lu Yanchen went in to buy some brown sugar and a package of fruits and snacks, intending to bring them to Aunt Wu.

Gu Ling was quite curious about Aunt Wu and was looking forward to meeting her.

The road to Aunt Wu's house wasn't far, and after several twists and turns following Lu Yanchen, they finally arrived. It was a somewhat simple residential area with low tile-roofed houses. The yards of ordinary households were filled with daily necessities and items like coal balls. However, as they walked, Gu Ling caught a faint scent of osmanthus, and suddenly, she felt the fragrance penetrating her soul.