Chapter 3: Getting in Trouble

——————————🐍——————————

Mobius sat on a couch in Judge Renslayer's office, preparing to get lectured for almost screwing up a timeline.

"Is it just me, or does this office keep getting better and better?" He pointed at her shelf which held an array of objects. "Where'd you get that one? The snow globe. I love those. I don't remember bringing back that case."

"You're not the only analyst working for me." Renslayer told him.

"But, would you say maybe I'm your favorite one? And why do you get to keep all the trophies from my cases in here? You don't think I'd love having that roller skate there sprucing up my cubicle?" Mobius complained.

"Because I approve the missions. Speaking of which, let's talk about the one you just botched." Renslayer suggested, handing him a drink. "You might need this for our discussion."

Mobius took the drink. "I hope it's a double."

"This Variant is insubordinate, stubborn, unpredictable. Sounds like someone else I know." She quipped.

"I was just thinking it sounds like someone I know." Mobius retorted, placing his glass on a small table with a bunch of rings on it.

"Mobius."

"What? Those rings were already there."

"And they're all from you."

Mobius leaned forward and grabbed a coaster from the coffee table. "Maybe it's from your other favorite analyst. Listen, Ravonna, I'm sorry. I realize my, you know, methods with this Loki are controversial, but..."

"Towing a dangerous Variant into the field is controversial."

"Yeah, it didn't go exactly the way I wanted it to today, but here's what we did find out. The Variant likes to stall for time, and eventually, we'll catch the other one doing the same thing." Because understanding this Loki helps me get closer to the one we're chasing, right?" Mobius reasoned.

Ravonna sighed. "Look, I know you have a soft spot for broken things."

"I don't think so."

"Yes, you do. If you didn't, Hunter Y-00 wouldn't even be working here. Speaking of which, I thought I told you to keep her away from the Loki Variant. Now I find out they went on a mission together?"

Mobius raised his hand in defense. "Okay, that was not my fault. I didn't introduce them, she walked into the Time Theater while I was talking with Loki and he saw her. Besides, maybe it's a good thing that he knows she's here. Maybe she'll keep him in line. I mean if she's on our side, wouldn't that make him less likely to try and betray us?" He suggested.

"Mobius, having them together is risky. What if he helps her regain her memories, and then she helps him escape?" Ravonna theorized.

"Well, I don't think we have to worry about that. She's not exactly happy with him right now." Mobius said.

"Loki is an evil lying scourge. That is the part he plays on the Sacred Timeline."

"Maybe he wants to mix it up. Sometimes you get tired of playing the same part. Is that possible? He can change?"

"Not unless the Time-Keepers decree it." Ravonna reminded him. "And then, it shall be so."