Chapter 2: Sneaking on Board

——————————🐍——————————

(Y/n) marched along the moon dust covered surface of the moon, the Variant walking along side her and Loki a few feet behind them.

"So, what's the plan?" He asked.

"There's a town not far from here." The Variant said. "And can you shut up? Just because I have to work with you doesn't mean I wanna hear your voice."

"Alright, Variant." Loki replied, jogging to walk along side them.

"What part of imminent death confuses you? And don't call me Variant."

"So, if you don't want to be called Loki, then what should we call you?" (Y/n) asked.

The Variant glanced at her, a little caught off guard that she was asking her for her name as plainly as if they were two acquaintances that had just met and hadn't tried to kill each other.

"I'm Sylvie." She told her.

"Oh, you changed your name. Brilliant." Loki said.

"It's called an alias."

"It's not very Loki-like."

"Yeah? What exactly makes a Loki a Loki?" Sylvie wondered.

"Arrogance?" (Y/n) guessed.

Loki's head snapped down to look at her and she smiled smugly up at him.

"Actually darling, what makes a Loki a Loki is independence, authority, and style. Qualities which I happen to carry in spades, unlike our companion here." Loki stated matter-of-factly.

Sylvie scoffed. "Right. So, naturally you went to work for the boring, oppressive time police?"

"I don't work for them. I'm a...consultant." Loki denied.

"You don't know what you want."

"Oh yeah? What about you? Your years-in-the-making plan was to tear the place down, create the ultimate power vacuum and then just walk away. I'd never have done that." Loki told her.

"Yeah? Well I'm not you. Can we get on with this now?" Sylvie asked.

...

The three of them finally made it to the town, which was already pretty much empty.

"It looks like everyone already fled." Loki observed.

"If they did it was in vain." Sylvie added.

"How long do we have?" (Y/n) asked.

Sylvie shrugged. "Twelve hours or so. Things down here are only gonna get worse. More meteors, gravity quakes, and of course the collapse of society in the face of annihilation."

As they walked through the town, Loki pointed at a neon sign in a window. "Could that charge the TemPad?"

"Maybe." Sylvie agreed, running up to the sign. "I'm just checking the coupling. Making sure it can connect."