Chapter 5: Finding Out the Truth

——————————🐍——————————

Mobius and Judge Renslayer sat in her office, signing off on some documents and celebrating the capture of the Variants.

"Case closed." Renslayer said, setting the documents aside. She lifted up her glass. "Cheers."

Mobius clinked his with hers. "Cheers."

"To putting all this behind us."

"Amen."

"If you could go anywhere, anytime, where would it be?" Renslayer suddenly asked.

"I can go anywhere anytime." Mobius reminded her.

"You know what I mean."

Mobius looked into his glass before looking back up at her. "Why wouldn't you let me interrogate Sylvie?"

"Sylvie?"

"The Variant. That's what Loki calls her." Mobius explained. "Why wouldn't you let me, you know, question her?"

"I told you, we couldn't have risked her escaping again." Renslayer told him.

"She wouldn't have escaped." Mobius insisted.

"The other Variant got away during your first interrogation, didn't he?" Renslayer pointed out.

Mobius chuckled. "Ouch."

"Come on. Anywhere and anytime on the timeline. Where would you go?"

Mobius shrugged. "I like being here now, with you, doing the work."

"Fine." Renslayer set her glass down on the table and leaned back on the couch. "I received word from the Time-Keepers. They want to personally oversee the Variant's pruning. And, they want you there too."

Mobius raised his brows in surprise. "It's about time. Great. When...when did you first notice what was going on with C-20?"

Renslayer furrowed her brows and laughed lightly. "Mobius, what is going on with you?"

"Nothing."

"We did it."

"I know."

"The Time-Keepers are happy."

"It's great."

"Mission accomplished."

"Mission accomplished. It was just that she seemed fine when I...when I saw her. I mean, a little freaked, but fine."

"Well, she quickly wasn't fine."

"Okay."

"Okay...C-20, the Variant. All these questions, what are you getting at?" Renslayer asked suspiciously.

"I don't know...something just seems a little off." Mobius admitted.

Renslayer sighed. "Fine. You want the truth? I'm trying to protect you. Would you normally interview someone like that? Yeah. But the Variant scares the hell out of me, and I didn't want to see anything bad happen to you. C-20 lost her mind. She couldn't even form words by the end. I just couldn't deal with that happening to you or anyone else. Is that what you wanted to here?"