Chapter 9

Brett's POV

My morning had begun early. I was awakened by the maid at around four thirty in the morning. The news rushed quickly that someone was murdered just a few hours ago on our territory. My presence was requested immediately and without a choice at the meeting room for an emergency pack grouping. I hurried to where my father was standing, not sitting at the head of the oval oak table. The others were there already, the council of twelve as well as a few others that I could not recognize.

"Father," I nodded my head at the alpha and the others," what's going on?"

The group had taken a moment to explain their discoveries. A human man was murdered by a mystery rogue on our territory sometime around three fifteen.

"Do we have ideas on who could have done this?" one of the council members asked.

"There is one rogue in town that we should have killed as soon as she had stepped into this town-" my father was saying.

"Clarity Spah," a man I recognized to be Stass Jacobs fathers spat with the same arrogant tone as his daughters," that filthy mutt.

"But it couldn't be her," I said," I-I don't think she has shifted yet."

I could not reveal that I knew for a fact that she had not reached the age of maturity to shift and that it was October 5th. They would immediately question how I knew my information.

"She must have shifted by now!" someone else roared," she's been here forever! It has to be here-"

"I would have known, I would have sensed that she shifted-"

"And how would you do that?" Luke, who was head of the territory security barked out.

"I'm the alpha's son, I could sense things that you cannot-"

"This is true but a shifted rogue isn't one of them, there's no way for you to know whether Clarity Spah is a shifted wolf or not, not unless you get close enough for your wolf to sense hers-"

"I sit near her in class, I would have known-"

"You would not have known, you just shifted yourself!"

"Enough!" my father roared and the room fell silent," there is a way to fix this, we will request a copy of her birth certificate from our friends at the vitals office, I'm sure they will have no problem handing it over."

"There is no way for us to confirm that the information on it is correct," Luke said," the girl is adopted on top of being a rogue, we have no idea the exact date of her birth-"

"Regardless, she is the only rogue in town and it was a rogue that did this, so the girl will pay."

I felt my chest sink.

"Father, that was not the plan," I reminded him," it was to let her shift on her own and perhaps the shift will kill her-"

"Clearly it didn't, clearly she survived."

"But we don't know if she did this."

"I say we take the girl prisoner, we force her to shift and kill her in wolf form. That was the original plan, no human will find the body because she will die as a wolf. And if it was her that killed the man then that problem will be gone as well."

"It's like killing two birds with one stone," Stass's father said.

"And if it turns out to be someone else that killed the man then we hunt down and kill that rogue too!" Luke celebrated.

"It sounds like you're just looking for someone to blame," I proceeded," there is no justice in this plan, only pure motive."

"Then we already got rid of one weed in our grass. It would be a matter of searching for the next."

"She is a rogue at the end of the day, the plan was always to kill her. It was just a matter of time," my father said.

I suddenly realized that even if they knew Clarity hadn't done this, they didn't care. They were looking for an excuse to kill her and this was the perfect one. I could not get her out of this hole, no matter how hard I tried.

***
Thank you for reading! Please comment and vote if you enjoyed!