Chapter 10

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Dirty-Secret-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNK1HP3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQLXERYLN49I&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700939887&s=digital-text&sprefix=nadine+alliye+%2Caps%2C83&sr=1-3

Updates twice a week, enjoy!
****

After school, I decided to take advantage of the booming sunlight that strobed through thick green trees to light the forest trails. I felt uneasy as I strut towards Deadman's Cave. I hadn't heard anything from The Serenity Pack but if it was true what Stass had said, then I should be contacted by them very soon.

Could they really kill me for something I hadn't committed? Truth be told, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I was not scared of death itself, but more so a surrender to their pack. I could not let them win, if I were to die, then it would be naturally by the tradition of my blood that insisted a fellow wolf aid me in transition.

They had robbed me of everything, I could not let them rob me of my own death.

I watched the branches snap under my shoes until I made my way to the clearing that always took away my breath with its natural beauty. The emerald lake glistened like diamonds, just as I had left it. The bushes and trees surrounding were somehow greener, as they always were after rain.

I was eager to get out of my clothes and jump into the water. I stripped until I was in nothing but my naked skin and this time, I hid my clothes behind a tree nearest to where I would be swimming. I took my first steps into the cool water and let out a sigh of relief. There was something magical about this water, it seemed to steal away the stress immediately on contact.

I felt a stir in the trees behind me and quickly peeked to see if it was another one of the members from the pack perhaps coming to drown me this time.

It must have been the winds because there was nothing in the distance. I emerged fully into the water and swam for sometime until I eventually got tired and floated.

I opened my eyes to stare at the sun. I wished that I could die , just like this.

On October fifth, if I even live until then, I will come here. I was not educated on how the transition would go, but when I do eventually die, I want to at least be near this lake.

I heard the stirring of the trees, but this time, voices followed.

"Jake held his breath in for a minute and a half last time we were here," someone was saying.

"If I beat him, I get that football jersey you have."

"No way, I wouldn't sell that for a million dollars."

I sat up slowly and used my legs to float upwards. Approaching the lake were some guys from The Serenity Pack. They had caught sight of me immediately. There was nowhere for me to run and hide, I was quite literally in the middle of the water

The first thing I thought was; god, I've got to remember to pack a bathing suit.

"Look who it is," one of them yelled out," the filthy rogue. They haven't killed you yet?"

I felt the uneasiness return. Technically, if the pack leaders had voted to kill me, then these guys had the right to do it right now.

"My father was in the meeting, he said they are seriously considering it-" the other said.

"I hope I get to be the one to do it. You should have never been allowed to live here amongst the worthy."

For the first time in forever, I was speechless. Perhaps it was the realization that this was truly  happening, that the pack was going to let me take the fall for a murder I did not commit.

It was the perfect solution to getting rid of me.

Could they not wait until the natural causes took their turn in just a few weeks? Was the ego of the leader that fragile that he had to be the one to do it himself?

The one question that rang in my head was; how long until they kill me?

"Hurry up and get out of the water," they shouted," it's on our land."

I couldn't move. I could not fathom what force had struck me the day that I was able to remove myself while being completely naked, now I felt like a deer caught in headlights.

When I did not stir, the boys shouted again," did you not hear me? Hurry up and move before I kill you!"

Suddenly, the sound of massive paws thundering against the soil emerged from between the trees. There halted to a stand a massive white and silver furred wolf. It landed its blue eyes on me and then the others. The power of his presence was almost overwhelming. For a moment, I wondered if it was the Alpha himself.

This was the first time that I had seen a werewolf in real life. I felt my chest sink with heartbreak at the memory that I will never be fully fledged like this. I would never be able to claim the one thing in my dna, my wolf.

The wolf shifted back and the transition was extraordinary. It happened within a second, the fur spurred to skin, fangs retracted into human teeth, and talons were fingers and toes. The person was hidden behind the large oak tree. It seemed as if he was picking at a pile of something underneath the rocks. When he came into view,  standing in place of the wolf was Brett Serenity. He was almost completely naked except for the boxers he wore. His tall frame was thick and bulging with muscle, on his chest I noticed a tribal tattoo.  I guessed that it was the boxers he was grabbing from behind the tree.

"What's going on here?" he demanded. Brett had the most serious look on his face that I had ever seen him bear. For the first time ever, he looked stressed.

"We were just telling the dirty rogue to leave our waters but she will not move."

Brett's eyes landed on me.

Would he spare me the same decency he did whenever it was just him and I?

"Why would you come here anyway?" he shouted at the others," this water is infested by a dirty rogue. You're shameful for ever wanting to swim in the same lake!"

Ouch. Obviously not.

I felt my eyes tear up immediately. I have heard worse of course, but coming from him, it stung ten times more.

"It's our territory, she should never even be in it!"

"I forbid any of you from coming here, while the rogue is still alive. You will not shame our pack further by swimming in the same lake as a rogue. Now go on, before I report you all!"

You can really hear the alpha in his tone. He looked just like his father here.

The boys dispersed back into the forest. Brett met my teary eyes for a moment and disappeared after them.

How could I be so foolish to think that Brett himself might have seen me as a person?

Of course he thought that I was filth, just like the others. He was no different than the rest.