Chapter 32

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Dirty-Secret-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNK1HP3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQLXERYLN49I&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700939887&s=digital-text&sprefix=nadine+alliye+%2Caps%2C83&sr=1-3

Updates twice a week, enjoy!

**

The next ten minutes had to be the wildest moments to have ever occurred in our small town.

I didn't feel the fire flaring further up my body, rather I saw it in Brett's horrified eyes. It was hard to drown out Jeremy's cries, much harder than numbing the pain which came to me almost naturally. I saw something breaking inside of Brett. I could feel the thumbs of his chest drowning out the noise, it was almost like I was inside of his body, and then something shattered. It was like he was no longer in control of his human, his wolf had taken over. He jumped up with enough impact to push Jessica onto the ground. I heard the gasps and watched as he shifted. His paws clawed at the base of the pole I was on that fell backwards and away from the fire. I hit the ground with a painful thud and screamed out as if my bones were breaking. I saw the patrols coming for me, but Brett's wolf was in their way. He was powerful, much more powerful than all of them combined. He sent one of the wolves flying back into the forest and slashed another across his chest. Whilst Brett fought to keep them off of me, I hurried to climb the brick at the base of the pole and untie Jeremy. He was screaming even louder now, the skin of his ankles had melted, blood trickled and blazed slowly into the fire below him.

My panic made my hands shake, I struggled to calm myself down because it was impossible to get the knots loose. I pushed the metal pole instead backwards just like mine and he hit the ground even harder than I had. Jeremy strugged himself loose but could not get up.

"My ankles!" he was screaming," I can't walk-"

The skin of his feet were completely bare with sizzling skin and blood. I knew I had to shift and carry him instead. I looked back to watch Brett. The council watched in complete shock, his father's mouth was wide open although his mother did not look so surprised.

"I can't leave him," I said. I watched as the wolves piled on top of him, until he was nearly invisible," they will kill him-"

"They will kill us too," Jeremy said.

I knew it was either him or us. I jumped into the air and shifted. I bit into Jeremy's back and flung him on my back. I spared one last glance through the fire to look for Brett but he was nowhere in sight. We escaped the chaos and ran into the woods and for our lives.

***

No one chased us. I ran for miles and miles with Jeremy on my back and there was no sign of anyone coming after us. Eventually we had to stop in a small town near the border. I shifted and we went into a pharmacy for supplies to treat Jeremy's and I's wounds.

I had just finished wrapping up his foot in the deserted parking lot.

"How many more hours until we get to Texas?"

"I'd say around twelve, maybe more with our injuries."

"We can't keep going, we have to stay the night here, get something to eat, give our body time to heal."

Jeremy looked down at his legs," you're right, I can't keep going like this."

"There's a motel, right down the street."

"We don't have any money."

I pulled out the bag full of money that Brett had given me," how did you think I paid for the pharmacy stuff?"

"I thought you stole them."

"Brett gave me this money. I hid it in Deadman's Creek. I forgot to tell you I took it."

"Doesn't matter now, I'm just happy to sleep in a bed tonight."

We checked into a forty-dollar one bedroom inside of a sketchy motel. The air stunk of mold and something sour but I couldn't care less. As Jeremy prepared himself for sleep, my mind was stuck on Brett.

"You're thinking about him, aren't you?" Jeremy pierced the silence.

I didn't meet his eyes. I somehow felt ashamed.

"I can't help it."

"I don't blame you, he's your mate after all." 

I was relieved to hear him say this, and even more so when he took me into his arms and laid my head on his chest.

"What if they killed him?" I tasted salty tears on my lips.

"They didnt...you would know...if they had killed him, you wouldn't be able to walk nor speak, you'd mirror his pain."

I shut my eyes and thanked god. If he was still alive then perhaps there was still a chance. It was beyond foolish, but again, I could not help it.

"The next blood moon is in two months," Jeremy said," we can perform the ceremony then...we can start a new life, forget about him and The Serenity Pack once and for all."

How do I tell him that this was the last thing on my mind? I just wanted to be near Brett, it was almost unbearable how badly I needed him.

"You still feel that way, right? It's the best option, the only option-"

"Yes," I just mumbled,"I agree."

He lifted my chin and forced my lips to his. I shut my eyes to avoid looking into his and let him kiss me. I tried to kiss him back, but every fiber in my being fought me back. I felt Jeremy's hands grasping my waist, his tongue explored my mouth while his hands traveled to caress my breasts. I flinched away from his fingers and caught the look of hurt that crossed his eyes.

When Jeremy fell asleep, my wolf stirred awake. I tossed and turned, I curled up in the corner and fought the feeling that something was wrong. I fought the urge to shift, to abandon Jeremy and run back into the murky woods in search of my mate until I lost the battle.