Chapter 15

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Dirty-Secret-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNK1HP3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQLXERYLN49I&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700939887&s=digital-text&sprefix=nadine+alliye+%2Caps%2C83&sr=1-3

Updates twice a week, enjoy!
****

The rest of the school day went by dreadfully. I existed only like a shadow, no one saw me, no one realized that I had just nearly died. During lunch, I walked over to the bus stop where I had abandoned my school bag. Slumped depressingly, it leaned against the glass borders as if waiting for me. I tossed it over my shoulders and debated skipping the rest of the day. I thought against it. Now that I have survived, it might be a good idea to actually put in an effort. Perhaps good grades would help get me out of this shithole town.

During the last period, I was surprised to see that the rogue boy was back. The pack clearly hadn't chased him away just yet. He spared me just a glance and looked away. At his feet was a helmet that could not fit in his locker.

What was his name again?

His face bore a slight resemblance to me. I felt as if I had seen him previously, in another life, in another shitty little town where I wasn't just a dirty rogue.

Maybe it was his resemblance to Jeremy although I hardly recalled what he really looked like, he still somehow reminded me of my old friend.

I took my seat and waited for the teacher to call out the names for attendance.

"Damon," he called out and the rogue boy raised an index finger, eyes buried in a book. I realized that everything about him was just a little cliche. The leather jacket, the tattoos, the bike, not to mention the bad boy persona. He didn't seem to be aware of the eyes on him. I wondered when The Serenity Pack would begin to make his life a living hell and why they haven't already...

I remembered that I had to ask him about the human man that was murdered by an outsider. He was the only other rogue in town unless he'd invaded with a secret clan I didn't know about.

I thought about what Brett had said about there being a man on a motorcycle at Deadman's Cave.

After class, I didn't bother chasing Damon down. I knew I'd lose the race against his long hurried strides and so I crossed through the grass behind the school as a shortcut to the hidden parking lot that housed only one vehicle. A muddy black bike that looked as if it had recently been victim to forest floors.

I waited for Damon, I sat on my backpack on the gravel ground and hugged into the warmth of my sweatshirt. After this, I planned on returning to the diner and begging for my job back. When he finally arrived, he slowed into a stride and the look on his face said that he wasn't at all surprised.

"It was you, wasn't it?" I immediately began. I suppose I was tired of people treating me like an idiot. I no longer had it in me to ask but to demand instead.It had hardly dawned on me that this was the first time that I had ever spoken to him.

"Can you be more specific? I'm a lot of things," he replied. He was already playing with his bike as if my presence did not faze him.

"It's you that has been following me," I tried to not let myself be distracted by his unbelievable good looks," you were at Deadman's Cave on October 6th, and you killed that human man-"

"I was not at Deadman's Cave on October 6th."

My eyes landed on the patches of mud and grass and occasional branches that dirtied his tires and so did his.

"Alright, fine, should have gotten the bike cleaned, I guess."

"You're a rogue, just like me-"

"Shh, keep your voice down."

"There's no one here but us!" I hissed.

"I know!" he half hissed, half whispered. He cleared his throat and proceeded in a normal tone," I'm a little paranoid, alright?"

"You should be. The Serenity Pack, they think I killed the human man."

"What, they do?"

"Yes!" I shouted," they want to kill me for it! They think I did it-"

"But they have no proof-"

"How  the hell haven't they killed you yet? You're a rogue, just like me!"

"If I tell you, I'd have to kill you."

He slid his one leg over the bike and secured his seat.

"Are you going to tell me why you have been following me? And why you were at Deadman's Cave?"

He let out a sigh," I can't. Not yet."

"What do you mean not yet? Who are you?"

"Listen, I have to go," he wore his helmet,"but don't worry, I don't think that prick will let anything happen to you."

"What prick?"

"That little stuck up son of the alpha that helped you shift. Pretty sure he's in love with you."

Damon revved the engine on his deafening bike and it was perfect timing because I was all out of things to say. He backed out of the parking spot and raced away.

The walk to the diner could have taken hours for all that I was concerned. My thoughts shuffled between the two new men in my life. I hadn't pinpointed exactly when my life had gotten so complicated. Who the hell is Damon and how did he know that I would be at Deadman's Cave on October 6th unless he followed me there, then the question as to why?

Then there was the biggest mystery of my life; Brett Serenity. Did he despise me? Did he feel sorry for me? Or did he simply enjoy the ancient game of rat and mouse, playing me into eventual submission where he and his vicious pack decide that death is too merciful and torture was a far more entertaining outcome. Whatever the case might be, the last thing he could be is in love with me.

I had finally got to the diner. There were two clients seated in the far left corner, Bob hurried past me and shot me a glare as he balanced two plates of food in his hand. I waited in the back for him to scorch me.I could hear his heavy footsteps minutes later.

"So you're alive," I knew he meant it ironically but how funny would it be if he actually knew.

"I'm so sorry Bob, I got...into an accident," I suddenly remembered that the wounds on my neck and face were still visible.

"I see that," he let out a sigh," are you alright?"

"I'm fine now. I would have called but-"

"No need to explain. I'm tired of being the cook and the waiter! And there's not a single decent person with a work ethic in this town!"

I felt joy. I felt like perhaps, now that I could start to save again, that there might be a chance after all.

I wrapped my arms around hefty Bob.

"Thank you, thank you!"