Chapter 30

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Dirty-Secret-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNK1HP3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQLXERYLN49I&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700939887&s=digital-text&sprefix=nadine+alliye+%2Caps%2C83&sr=1-3

Updates twice a week, enjoy!

***

Brett's Pov

It didn't seem like anyone suspected that it was me that let out the prisoner, quite the opposite really. The council praised my heroic act to try and chase down Clarity instead of calling for patrols. They had called me courageous and brave which was ironic because I felt no less than a coward.  My father didn't suspect anything since I had returned his keys and placed them right next to the ones for Clarity's male friend, Jeremy. I could have risked it all again to let him out, but I chose not to at the end. I'd like to believe that it was because the risk now was much greater but the truth is, I cannot say jealousy did not play a massive role. I hated that I rathered her alone then with anyone else. The blood in my veins boiled at the mere thought of them together.

She cannot be protected by any man, she cannot be held nor kissed nor thought about by none other than me. Logic and common sense had no place for feelings like this. I will watch Jeremy burn a thousand times before accepting him as Clarity's new mate.

"Are you listening?"

The thoughts in my head rushed to disperse. I smiled politely at my mother who sat next to my preaching father as he commanded the council," yes, of course."

"All exits are stationed, there is no way out unless the rogue girl can magically grow wings and fly," it was my fathers second that spoke," it's a matter of time before we find her, just like her friend."

"I would say two or three days until we do. The church has already set up a burning ritual, they will be burned on wooden torches for the filth they merit."

I felt the pit of my stomach beginning to do flips. I felt sicker than I have ever felt.

"What were you doing there anyway?" it was my mother again who leaned in towards me and whispered.

I swallowed my dry throat," what?"

"What were you doing at the prison? You said you were going to meet with Jessica-"

"Oh yes, right. I just wanted to check in on the prisoners and make sure that everything was okay," I cleared my throat.

"You were at your fathers study just an hour before, what were you doing there?" 

It was clear that mother suspected more than she let on. After all, it did not take much puzzle pieces to begin asking yourself why the rogue girl attacked Jesscia in the first place.

"I was looking for him, I told you."

"And I told you that he wouldn't be there just minutes before."

"I wanted to check for myself, is that alright with you? Or is there something else you'd like to say to me?" my anger got the best of me. She leaned back into her seat and I knew that my outburst only made things worse.

Clarity's Pov

I had never felt more like a rogue.In the past twelve hours I had been hunting dinner, scavenging for water and a patch of bushes that didn't pierce my skin to sleep on. I felt like a savage, an animal destined to live and die in the woods. I needed to get out of here, I could not escape the trees that were patrolled by The Serenity Pack. It seemed like the only way out was to surrender. Sitting now by the waters in Deadwood Creek, I could not measure how many hours had gone by. I waited for Brett and prayed that he showed up soon. I needed answers, I needed Jeremy and a way out of this open air prison.

I heard the branches crack and sat up. My heart began to pump a hundred miles per hour. It was only Brett that emerged from the bushes. Surprisingly, he wasn't shifted either. I resisted the urge to throw myself into his arms.

"You came," I found myself saying once again," where's Jeremy?"

His jaw stiffened," I couldn't get him out, it was too risky."

"Well what am I supposed to do then? We were supposed to go to Texas."

His eyebrows shot up," what's in Texas?"

"His pack, a new life for me where I'm not just a filthy rogue like I am here-"

"Do you love him?"

The question took me by surprise.

"What does it matter whether I love him or not?"

"He was the one you chose as your mate, right? He was supposed to be my replacement?"

I could hear the jealousy and possession that laced his words.

"Do you love Jessica?"

"Did you think I was going to let him have you that easily?" his eyes flared with an angry fire.

"You were never going to let him out," I blinked back tears," you've always wanted me to be alone."

"You belong to me, whether I choose to have you or not."

I felt my eyes widened and I stared at him with disbelief," you forfeited me-you chose someone else!"

"And what makes you think that you're allowed to do the same-"

"You're insane! You're pure evil like the rest of your pack-"

I could not get the rest of my words out because his hands wrapped around my neck and pushed me back against the trunk of a tree.

"Be careful how you talk to me, remember that you live because of me-"

"And I will die because of you too," I whispered.

"If it means that you cannot betray me, then so be it. I'd rather my mate be dead and faithful rather than alive and a scandalous whore-"

"Why did you let me out? It's a matter of time before the patrols find me, there is no way out of here-"

He released his grip on my neck.

"I'll distract the patrols at the southern border tonight after sundown, sometime around six thirty pm, you'll have around ten minutes to get out-"

"I don't have a phone or a watch, I have no way of telling time."

He shrugged off his watch and forcefully clasped it around my wrist.

"You can forget about Jeremy, he's going to be killed by the council very soon."

"So it's save myself and be alone forever, whilst you move on and mate with someone else, and kill the only person in my life-"

"Yes."

"It was you that asked me if I had anyone to run to, it was your idea to find him-"

He didn't not answer.

How could I be in love with someone like this? Is it possible to despise your soulmate?

"Mating isn't a subject of love, is it? Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to forfeit your mate-"

"What are you talking about?"

"The concept of a mate, it's more like territory isn't it? You truly believe I belong to you, like land-"

"Ten minutes after six thirty, run far away and never come back. I don't want to ever see you again."

He placed a plastic bag in my hand. I looked down to discover that inside of the bag was another five hundred dollars. By the time I looked back up, Brett had disappeared.