Chapter 1

The novel starts with excerpts from a dragon rider's codex from the world, which I find very cool. It's an interesting touch to add to the book to give the readers an insight to the world. 

Starts with first person POV, which can be a little difficult to pull off. 

Right away we get thrown into dialogue, and a family argument at that. The shouting doesn't seem very professional for a military family, but between daughters and mother makes a little more sense. 

The sister, Mira, comes off as super protective, which again makes sense for an older sister. We get the idea that Violet, the main character, was a sick child. Though, we don't know what she was sick with. 

I thought this was a YA book, but after the first "fuck" I had to google it. Nope. Adult fantasy. To me the writing felt a little juvenile and that is why it came off as YA. Maybe the swearing was to make it more adult? 

In the first chapter Mira mentions some peers I'm sure will become relevant later in the story, like Violet's childhood best friend, Dain. I'm thinking right away he'll be romantic interest #1. 

Speaking of the sister, she is a bit dramatic, even for me. I'd think she should be a little more composed being from a military family, and in her late 20s. Unsure if Yarros wasn't sure how to convey emotion through dialogue. 

One thing I noticed after reading this first chapter, besides it being pretty long, was there wasn't much imagery for me. I can't picture the characters or scenes. Time period is a little ambiguous, but that could be a style choice.