Chapter 3: Not a Witch

The next morning Evelyn woke up with the sun beating down on her face. It was comfortable. Her back was a bit stiff, and slightly chilly from the dew, but it was al right. She sat up and made her way back to the edge of the forest, some of the guys were waking up, some of them were already wondering around. A boy with dark hair and eyes with earrings in both ears came striding over in her direction.

"You are Evelyn, yeah?" He called before he reached her.

She just nodded once, wearily of him, he had the look of a trouble maker about him. However he stopped a distance away, giving her a wide bubble of personal space.

"So...there was a hole bunch of boxes and stuff waiting for us this morning when we woke up, we hulled it all over to that dilapidated building," He nodded in the direction of the building, "There are a few crates that have your name on them."

"Mine?"

He nodded, and gestured for her to follow. She hesitated and then followed. He showed her the small pile of crates and boxes. Frowning in confusion she shifted through them. One contained some clothes, bathroom supplies. The rest contained herbs, small glass jars, wood bowls and measuring spoons, stone bowls and mortars to crush herbs. There were a few leather bound note books, pencils and paper.

She stood up looking around, she spotted the boy she was searching for, and made her way over to him.

"Hey, umm Nick?" She ask quietly.

He spun around towards her soft voice, with a smile. His eyes lighting up.

"Hey Evy! Where did you go last night?"

"The forest."

"All alone?"

She just nodded.

He frowned and folded his arms, "You were safe in there?"

She frowned, wondering what he was asking, or referring to. "I was fine."

He just hummed, his frown didn't change. He just stood there, his dark eyes watching her, "I feel safe in the forest."

"Fine." He sighed, "What did you want to ask Evy?"

"There were a bunch of boxes that were sent up for me..."

He nodded, waiting for her to go on.

"Can I umm.." She stammered, looking down at her booted feet, "Can I umm maybe use one of the...ummm...extra buildings?"

"Why are you asking me?"

She shrugged, "You seem to be the one...people uhh are viewing as in charge."

The look of surprise made her lip twitch into a small smile.

"I don't want to be the leader! And leader of what?"

"Nick, Leadership is not about being in charge. Leadership is about taking care of those in your charge."

"That was deep Evy!"

"You seemed to make sure everyone yesterday had a place by the fire and had something to eat. No one else cared enough. Also... your the only one to ask where I went last night. You see everyone. Weather or not you want the leadership role, its yours."

"Man, the girl who says nothing...when you do speak its wise words of wisdom." He smiled down at her, making her feel seen.

"So..? That's a yes to one of the smaller huts?"

He nodded. "I'll help carry them."

They spent the morning moving the crates over to the hut closest to the forest. He helped her find a wood table; there was an abundance in the barn.