Chapter 36: Chuck

The Greenie alarm went off, echoing around the Glade, bouncing off the stone walls. Evelyn let out a groan. Another Greenie, meaning another month. Another four weeks of failing to find a way out. Her spark of hope, the big speech she gave Minho a few months ago was wearing off. His night time anxiety attacks were becoming a regular thing now. Newt had taken on the positive optimist.

"Come on Ev." Jeff sighed, "these kids lately have needed both of us. I don't know what these Creators are playing at..."

"No one knows what those shucken creators are doing!" Evelyn grumbled.

Running a hand through her tangled hair, she grabbed her leather bag and followed Jeff. Clint was out doing rounds, they would meet him at the box and find their box of supplies.

"Hey Lee!" Newt's bright voice made her smile and washed some of the bitterness away. She exhaled and smiled.

"Hey Love." He kissed her cheek.

"Hey Jeff, how's it goin'?"

"Oh ya know..." He shrugged, and wandered off to find Clint.

"So...still hopin' for another girl?" Newt asked, laying his arm over Evelyn's should, sliding her arm around his back and laid her head on his shoulder.

"Honestly? I've given up on hoping for a girl a long time ago. It's been two and a half years, and it's been shank after shank." Evelyn grumbled.

"Well, one can always bloody have hope." He said with a teasing smile. He pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head.

She snorted, "hope..."

"Love...you okay?" Newt frowned slightly looking down at her, his eyebrows pulled together.

She sighed, and slumped into him, "yeah...just...tired. And feelin' gloomy. Another Greenie means another month stuck in this stupid prison."

"I know Love, I know...but we'll get outta here-"

He was cut off when the loud clang rang out, meaning that the Greenie had arrived in the metal cage. As soon as the grinding of the chains were heard bets were placed, not that the cage was here it went quiet for a few seconds.

"Who ows me for not crying like a shuck baby?"

"Dude!"

"Maybe the shank passed out already!"

"Think they'll be a slopper?"

"I need help in the kitchen!"

"Probably a klunk shank!"

"Slim it!" Alby roared over the noise. "Sonny, Gally?"

The guys pulled the doors open, letting the bright light shine into the the dark Box. The guys all crowded around the opening, staring down into the Box.

"Where's the shank?"

"I don't know, but it stinks!"

"Man that box reeks!"

"Welcome to hell, Shank!"

"Dude! You can't say klunk like that!"

"Day one Greenie!"

"Slim it ya Shanks!" Alby roared again, "Newt?"

Newt climbed down into the box. He looked up, his face scrunched.

"It definitely smells worse! Bloody hell, it gets worse each month!"

"Newt, where's the shucken Greenie?" Alby called, already frustrated.