Chapter 7: A Hurting Heart

Another few months and routines were set, or at least as much as they could be, supplies were still sent up randomly; boxes of food, live animals, medical supplies beding, nails and wood..but lately there were all kinds of dangerous weapons being sent. It made Nick and Alby nervous, they tried to keep the really obvious things away, like the hand gun that was sent one time.

"Why the shuck are we being sent weapons?" Alby grumbled after confiscating another big knife that slipped into someone's hand.

"No idea, this place makes no sense! Why do walls move? Why do we have memory loss and why are more kids being sent up?" Nick shrugged.

They started a tradition, once a month, on the last Friday they would hold a big bonfire or part. They were happening more frequently, but Evelyn couldn't keep up with the amount of sick Gladers the next day. She had begged Nick to change it to once a month instead of every week, it was slowly draining her. Gally and a few others had made some moonshine, and it was strong. Once glass jar and the kid was gone.

Gally had built Evelyn her own sleeping hut, right next to the MedHut. Now the MedHut had three beds pushed against the wall, with a small table between them, the back wall had a big shelf with all the medical supplies and her big work table in the corner by the door. If the Glader's didn't see her around the Glad she was mostly likely in her garden or working at the table.

There was another knock on the door and she looked up with a sigh, it was hot out today, a lot of the guys were coming complaining of headaches. But her sigh or frustration turned into one of surprise and her face broke into a smile.

"You're back early today."

"Yeah, Minho said to call it, it's too hot out. We need to ask the Creators for backpacks so we can carry more water. And lunch." Newt sighed. His face was sweaty.

"Anything interesting out there today?"

His face filled with anger so fast Evelyn took a step back. His eyes flashed dangerously.

"Why would you ask me that Lee? You never ask a Runner about the Maze." He snapped.

"I'm sorry Newt. I won't ask you about your day."

He ran a hand through his hair, with a frustrated growl. "That's not what I said."

"Then how was your day?" She asked.

"Same as always." His reply was short and snappy, and he refused to make eye contact, instead he was glaring at Hephaestus, who just scurried onto the window ledge.

Over the months Evelyn noticed he was more lizard-like than the machine now. He had smooth scaly skin, it was still a metallic grey, with a red strip down his back, where the letters w i c k e d used to be, and his eyes didn't glow anymore like head lights, they were regular lizard eyes, but they were red instead of a typical green. She had brought it up with Nick one time, and the best they could come up with was when she used her power, and he was on her shoulder, it slowly changed him from machine to more animal.

"Do you want something to drink? I've been busy with headaches and such from the Glades all day." She changed the subject, hoping his mood would change. He had been really swinging his moods the last little while.

"No. I'm fine." He shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Then...why did you come? You don't want to talk, and you don't need a healer...Just need a quiet place?" She asked him gently.

She tried to lay a hand on his arm, but whether or not he moved on purpose, but he moved out of reach. She saw the turmoil in his eyes. He would never talk, and Evelyn wasn't one to push, but she knew there was something deeply wrong, she just didn't know how to help the boy.