Chapter 47: Bloody Halls

Evelyn woke up to little puffy snores. She stifled a giggle. Chuck was curled up in the makeshift bed, he looked even younger while he slept. His cheeks squished and slightly pink. She smiled and the boy. He was so innocent, he shouldn't be in a place like this. Her eyes travelled to the others who were sprawled out on her floor.

When they were on their way back with Chuck's stuff, and they found out about the sleepover, Nick, Minho, Sonny, Gally and Jeff showed up. They sprawled on the floor. It had been a weird week and everyone just needed support.

Evelyn rolled onto her back and pulled a pillow onto her chest and hugged it tight. It still smelt like him. Earthy sunshine, laundry soap, herbs and spices. Her heart ached. Even with everyone in her room, she still felt alone. She secretly wished Newt would have come too...she closed her eyes and imagined that he was there laying beside her, his arm around her, his face buried in her hair, his body pressed up against her. It helped her fall asleep.

"Hey...Pixy?"

She swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat. She was glad the pillow was covering her face.

"Morning Soilder." She forced the peppy happy old Evy.

He snorted quietly, the bed dipped when he sat and pulled the pillow away.

"Don't give me the fake voice. I ain't stupid."

"I'm fine."

"Feelings I'm not expressing...ain't fine. You're holding Newt's pillow over your face, wearing his hoodie and you're trying hard not to cry."

"Fine." She whispered, her voice tight and thin, her eyes narrowed and she sat up. Her voice was sharp now, quiet, so she wouldn't wake the others.

"Yeah you're right. I'm not okay. I miss him. A lot. I still care about him. And I still love him, Minho. I do! If he had said everything was over and he left Thomas behind I'd have him back! Alright? Is that what you wanna hear? People won't leave me alone. People keep asking me about it and it's really hard to cope and move on when someone is always poking into my love life!"

She took a ragged breath. Ran a hand through her hair and blinked a few times.

"I'm sorry Minho. That wasn't fair. It....it's also how am I supposed to act now around you?"

"Like we always have. You're my best friend, that doesn't change. I don't except you to change anything. You wanna vent and rage? Go for it. Cry over a break up? Go for it. Pine and wish he was back? Go for it."

She hung her head in shame.

"Come on Pixy, we gotta get up and ready. We got that Griever to dissect."

"Jeeze that seemed so long ago! So much klunk has happened?"

"Yeah, it was only 2 nights ago...also, we're still tryna process that night. You know it's going to take you and Newt time to process that.."

"How come your gentle and kind with your words to me, but you were agressive with him?"

Minho handed her the pillow back, and she held it tight to her chest. Snuggling her face into the pillow. She was still hurt and angry, but the smell was familiar and comfortable and eased her tension.

"You didn't try to kiss someone else, and then play victim. You did nothing. He needed some sense knocked into him."

She hummed.

"Come on. Time to get going, and don't step on anyone."

"Yeah! Don't step on us!"

"Where's my glasses?"