Chapter 62: Rescued

Evelyn stared at the lady, who worked for WICKED, crumpled on the floor at her feet. She had just taken some ones life with her bare hands. Yes she worked for the Creators, for WICKED, for the horrible people who ripped her memory and threw her into a terrible place full of blood death and fear... Evelyn lifted her hands out in front of her to see them. They were still glowing and shimmering an icy blue, her hand were freezing, but slowly warming up, the sharp stabbing pain was decreasing. Evelyn looked back down at the lady. Realization hit her like a blow to the chest, she took someone's life with her power.

She slowly turned around to face the silent room. She could feel the fear in the room. All sounds of the scuffle with Alby had stopped, the Gladers were also silent; she couldn't even hear the ragged breathing. She looked up, terrified to see their faces.

All eyes were wide in shock or fear, or both. A few mouths had dropped open. Evelyn was hit hard with a dizzy spell. Her eyelids fluttered and her knees buckled. Before she hit the floor someone caught her.

"Evelyn?" Newt stammered, the fear clear in his voice.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry! Newt! I didn't mean to! I was so...so.." She covered her face and cried. Newt pulled her into his chest and held her. "I promised I'd save him! I promised him, Newt..to take him home! I promised him!" She sobbed into his chest. Her fists grabbing onto his shirt, clenching it tight. Great, racking sobs echoed through the room like the sounds of tortured pain. The people behind the glass just sat there blank faced and watched. Thomas had collapsed to his knees beside a beaten and bloodied Alby. He had taken his anger out on the boy who held back the only hope they had to save Chuck. Minho and Sonny had yanked him off. Gally lay in his own blood and the rest of the Gladers all stood around, unsure and scared.

Teresa dropped down beside Evelyn and Newt and she placed her hand on Evelyn's shoulder. Finally, Evelyn took a ragged shuddering breath, reeled in the pain, locked it somewhere deep inside her, along with her shattered heart and dark broken soul. Her head rolled, her eyes coming in and out of focus, she looked over at Teresa and her enormous blue eyes, heavy with sadness, just as much for her as for Chuck, she was sure of it.

"...I'm sorry Love, I'm so sorry!"

Evelyn's eyes shifted to Newt, his big brown eyes looked so broken and lost. He was going to say something when there was a loud shout, and wild commotion on the other side of the glass. The door beeped and it swung open. Everyone looked around. Men in black army gear, and masks came storming into the room guns raised. They were yelling and screaming words over each other. It was impossible to understand what they were saying. The Gladers ducked, as the computer screens smashed. Newt stood up, pulling Evelyn up as well. She was extremally unsteady on her feet. A man walked up to the Gladers as the others in his group spread out around them, sweeping their guns left and right as they shot some more at the observation windows, shattering more of the glass. Evelyn could heard screams, saw blood, looked away, focused on the man who approached them. He had dark hair, his face young but full of wrinkles around the eyes, as if he'd spent each day of his life worrying about how to make it to the next.

"We don't have time to explain," the man said, his voice as strained as his face, "We work against WICKED. Come on kids! We need to hurry!"

Evelyn pulled away from Newt and threw herself back down beside Chucks body. Holding it tight. She couldn't leave him here. She couldn't!

"COME ON!" The man shouted, "WE NEED TO LEAVE!"

"NO! CHUCK! WAKE UP! PLEASE!"

Someone grabbed her shoulder, but she shook it off. She couldn't leave Chuck...or Gally or Alby. She couldn't leave them behind.