Chapter 20: Deal

That morning was the same as it always was. Newt was in a raging mood, Jeff got the same treatment. Ignored the guys that came to visit. Evelyn and Jeff stitched up the slicers and builders that came through. Evelyn had grown quiet. Like she was in the first month or two. One or two word answers, avoiding eye contact. She didn't eat much and she kept to herself. She avoided the big crowded areas, Nick came around constantly to make sure she was eating. No one bothered lowering voices in the MedHut anymore to talk to her. Hoping maybe Newt would over hear, not to guilt trip, but to show how much damage he had done and was continuing to do. 

Evelyn was preparing his meds and tea when Sonny showed up. She forced a small smile.

"Hey Sonny, what can I do for you?" 

He stated placing the plate down, "I know you don't eat. Eat." He stood towering over her, his dark eyes softened when he took in how much weight she had lost in the last two weeks, how disheveled and exhausted she looked. 

"In a moment. It's med time." Her voice got quieter, resigning herself to what was going to happen. Sonny glanced at the room. Newt was laying down, staring blank eyed at the ceiling.  He just nodded. With a small sigh, closing her eyes for a brief second, gathering her courage, and steeling herself for his harsh words and temper. 

She took the little cup of meds and the mug and walked slowly and cautiously into the room. Newt looked over. 

"Get out." 

"You need to take these or its going to get worse." 

"Good. At least I'll feel something." 

"Take the meds please." 

"Get out." He said louder, his face morphing into the twisted anger, he pushed up onto his elbows, and then sat up. Evelyn placed the meds and mug onto the side table. 

"GET OUT! DON'T YOU EVER LISTEN? GET THE HELL OUT OF MY ROOM!" He screamed, making Evelyn flinch.

Sonny was beside Evelyn so fast, she didn't see him. He shoved her behind his huge body. Newt  snatched the mug off the table and went to throw it, but Sonny grabbed his arm in his huge hand. He glared down at Newt, who looked taken aback that someone dared to disrupt his temper tantrum. Sonny held on tight, his muscles straining and flexing.  Newt couldn't fight back. With his other hand, Sonny took the mug and placed back on the side table.

"Enough." He growled. "Apologize." 

Newt blinked, and Evelyn stayed frozen behind Sonny. Newt just blinked blankly at Sonny.

"Apologize. Now." He repeated. His voice was low and dangerous. 

"Sorry." He mumbled. 

Sonny finally let go of Newt's arm. He turned slightly to Evelyn. With a huge arm around her he steered her towards the door. 

"Go shower and eat. I need to talk to Newt." 

"Sonny-"

"Go." He pushed her in the back, and closed the door. 

Evelyn sighed, and decided to listen to Sonny. She knew Sonny could be very protective, but she had never seen him get physical like that. But she did trust Sonny not to actually harm him, Sonny may be the Keeper of the Baggers, he was quite kind and gentle. She wondered to her hut and then through the Glad to the showers. Half way there Nick caught up with her.

"Hey, who's with Newt? Jeff is with the builders right now, right?" 

"Sonny." 

Nick raised an eyebrow.

"He saw Newt yelling at me. He got protective, grabbed his arm and took the cup he was about to throw at me. He shoved me out the door and said he needed to talk."