Chapter 16: Listless Feelings

She didn't do anything all day. She had no energy even if she wanted to. Not only was her physical energy depleted, but her emotional and mental energy was gone. She hardly moved, almost as still as the boy in the bed. Jeff came to check on her a few times, but for the most part just left her, knowing she just needed quiet. The Gladers also kept their distance, only two guys showed up a builder with a nail stuck in his hand and a slicer. Jeff took care of those with ease.

There was a knock on the door and Nick pushed the door open.

"Hey man."

"How's it going?"

Jeff knew he was asking about Evelyn and Newt. Jeff shrugged with a sigh. He ran a hand aggressively over his short hair and then answered.

"She hardly moved. Just sitting curled up, staring, I can hear sniffing. But that's it. Newt is still out. He's gonna have a wicked headache when he wakes up."

Nick lowered his voice to hardly a whisper. "He will, right?"

"As far as I know. Evelyn used her powers on him ...hoping...assuming it fixed the internal injuries. His heartbeat is steady and the same with his breathing."

Nick let out the breath he was holding.

"But dude, I can't get a response from her. She won't talk, and she won't eat...she's even ignoring the lizard!" Jeff whispered.

Nick frowned. Watching the girl through the door. She was huddled in the chair.

"Like I know I'm new...but obviously there is more than friendship, I ain't stupid.. and I know she's grieving and stuff, but if she continues like this...well it ain't good." Jeff continued talking in an undertone.

Nick patted his shoulder, "all right. Thanks for the update, I'll see if Fry can make her something easier to eat. I'll be back."

____________________

Nick was crouched beside Evelyn, just watching her for a second. She didn't even register that someone was there.

"Evy?" He called her name quietly.

No response.

"Hey, come on Evy."

He used the back of his hand to gently touch her check, like he was checking for a temperature. She was freezing and her cheeks were damp with tears. She only blinked.

"Come on, look at me please."

He gently pulled her face to look at him. She blinked a few times, her eyes far away.

"Talk to me Ev, what's going on up there." He gently tapped her temple.

She was quiet for a moment and then her lip trembled.

"I-"

Her voice was so quiet he had to lean in. She took a shallow shaky breath.

"I can hear it. It plays in my head. Over and over and over."

A shiver ran down Nick's spine. He didn't really want to know, but asked anyways.

"What can you hear?"

She was quiet again, her eyes fixed on the wall behind Nick.

"His screams. The sound of his leg breaking. His head slamming into the ground. It replays over and over..."

Tears filled her eyes, making her green eyes look like glass, tears clinging to her lashes and her chin quivered with a sob trying to come out.

"I should have been faster. We should have left sooner and if I hadn't stumbled. I should have gone after him that night. Why Nick ...why would he do this?"