Chapter 25: Bloody Wounds

Evelyn sat in shock. The glade had gone silent. Only half of Billy was pulled. He was cut clean in half. Bright red blood pooled on the grass, soaking into the knees of Evelyn's pants. Billy's face was twisted in fear, his eyes were wide open, glassy and vacant. He was already gone. At least his death was quick and painless. And with that horrible thought, she glanced down at the clean cut, and turned to the side, bile rose up in her throat. She wasn't the only one to throw up. Nick had gone white as a ghost, his eyes wide. Steve hadn't moved, his mouth wide open in a silent scream. The tension grew until finally Steve found his voice and screamed, a loud huge heart wrenching scream. 

His face morphed into rage and he flew at Nick, his fist back. Newt tried to stop him, but he was still unbalanced, and Steve lashed out and Newt went crashing to the ground. Steve tried again, but Sonny had grabbed him before he could land his fist. 

"Go. I know it hurts, but go right now." Sonny demanded, and gave him a shove the other way. Winston stepped forward. 

"Come on." He looped an arm around the kid and lead him away towards the Bloodhouse. 

The crowed stood for a moment longer and then disappeared. Evelyn scrambled over to Newt, who had clamed his eyes shut and was breathing hard. 

"Newt? Talk to me." Her voice was strained, and her heart was wild.  

"Just...shooting pain." He tried to keep his voice level, but she could hear the pain laced in it. 

"Okay, come on lets get back to the MedHut. There isn't anything for me to do here. Sonny and the guys will take care of it." 

She tried to help him up, but her hands were shaking and her legs felt like jello. The air had an iron metallic smell of fresh blood, it was making her stomach sick. 

"Jeff?" 

Jeff hadn't moved, he was still staring at Billy's bloody mangled body. 

"Jeff!" She called louder, he still didn't move. She got up, and stood in front of the boy, blocking his view. She shock his shoulders. 

"JEFF!" She yelled sharply. His eyes finally focused on her. "Good. Now come on. I need your help." She said gently, steering the boy away from the blood and guts. With Jeff's help, they hulled Newt to his feet, and with an arm over both of them, they helped him back to the hut, They got him laying down, and propped up. 

"Jeff can you get some pain meds?" Jeff nodded and went to the other room. 

Newt way laying on the bed, still breathing hard, but not to bad anymore. He didn't look so white now. 

"I'm okay. It's just throbbing now." He forced a smile for Evelyn. 

"Don't lie to me. I know see the pain on your face." She said quietly, he dropped the smile, and then nodded. 

Jeff came back with the meds and a cup of water. She helped him sit up, and once he took them, she lay him back down. 

"Okay, I'm going to go fill the kettle from Fry and I'll bring ice. Both of you need  to just sit. I'll be back." She leaned over and kissed Newt's slightly sweaty forehead. She made Jeff sit. 

"I'll be back." 

She had a big bag of ice and carrying the kettle back to the MedHut when she heard a wild scream. Spinning around trying to find the screaming. She saw two guys fighting over by the trees. She dropped everything and ran. She saw Steve pull one of his slicer knives. Evelyn screamed, drawing the attention of a few Gladers. 

"IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" Steve screamed as he drove the knife into Nicks side. 

Evelyn screamed again. Other Gladers were now running towards the scuffle. Steve pulled the knife out Nick fell to the ground, bright red blood poured from his side. Steve stood over him, holding the knife high above his head, ready to plunge it down when Evelyn made it, and threw her body into Steve, knocking them both to the ground. The knife went flying into the grass. He kicked her off, and he scrambled for the knife. Evelyn felt a rib crack, and all the air was knocked out of her.