Chapter 29: Taste Testing

Evelyn was finally cleared by Jeff to get back to work, two and a half months of light duties.

"Why do you need my opinion again?" Jeff asked, as he lowered the hem off her shirt.

"Because I can't give myself a check up. And we're coKeepers. Alby says anyone going back in the job needs to be cleared by the Keeper of the MedJacks. Just following rules." She gave him a small cheeky smile.

He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah from my perspective they look fine. How are you feeling?"

"Good. I can bend and twist without pain. A little sore if I try to lift anything heavy."

"Then don't lift anything heavy." Clint called from the other room.

"He's a genius." Evelyn gasped.

"It's why I picked 'em." Chuckled Jeff.

"Tomorrow is greenie day, we ready? The last two times they've all ended up in here." Evelyn asked hoping off the table.

"Yeah, hope the box brings more gauze and bandages, were running low." Jeff frowned.

"You sent our note?"

He nodded.

The morning was spent patching up Slicers and builders. The last builder was leaving when he turned back around.

"Oh, Ev, uhh, Gally wanted to see you quick."

"Oh! Is he okay?"

"I think so. Didn't look sick or anything."

"Well all right, thanks Ricky, I'll clean this up and come by."

The boy left, closing the door. Clint came over and started to clean up.

"Go. Gally has been really snappy lately. Don't keep him waiting. I can clean up."

"Clint? Are you scared of Gally?" She asked with a small smile.

"Shuck ya! Dudes huge, and then he's always angry."

"He has his reasons. But he's quite kind, he just doesn't... open up much."

"Well... glad he called for you and not me." Clint said with an over exaggerated shutter.

She laughed and grabbed her bag and waved. Pausing for a moment to soak up the sun, tilting her head up and closing her eyes she took a deep breath.

"Don' you look like a ray of sunshine."

She smiled even bigger and turned to see Newt walking towards her. His eyes travelled up and down her body.

"New shirt?" Newt asked, wrapping his arms loosely around her waist.

"What? No! Newt? This is your shirt... and you saw me pull it out of the drawer."

She eyed him suspiciously. He was looking down at her with his big brown eyes, she could see life and mischief behind them.

"What do you want?" She asked.

"Nothin'." He shrugged with an even bigger smile.

"Newton!" She said firmly, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothin'! Honest! Can't a guy just eye up his buggen' girl?"

She hummed, still suspicious. Then her suspension slid into a small smirk and she leaned into his chest and looked up through her lashes.

"Well then maybe I want something." She whispered.

Before he could reply she pushed up onto her toes burried her hands into his shaggy hair and pulled his head down. She kissed him quite hard.

His hands tightened. And one slid down and into her back pocket, using some pressure he pushed her closer. She felt the rumble in his chest.