Chapter 45: Decisions

Evelyn woke to the sound of people yelling. Her head was pounding making focusing anything difficult. With a groan she forced herself to her feet and stumbled out of the room and out of the MedHut.

Following the loud crys of guys she stumbled to the group, pushing the guys out of the way, to get to the front.

"Please! Please Newt! Nick Please!" Ben was screaming.

Evelyn made it to the front. It took a minute to figure out what was going on. Laying on the ground being held down by Sonny, Gally, Winston and Minho was a screaming Ben. Thomas was sitting on the ground looking dishevelled and bleeding from a few scratches and cuts. Nick and Newt stood over Ben, Newt held a shovel in one hand and Nick had his arms crossed.

"He's bad! He's bad bad bad!" Ben screamed, wiggling and fighting.

"Evy? There you are!" Nick cried.

She looked up and over to him.

"Shuck! You're bleeding! What happened?" Nick cried again, rushing over.

"I am?" She asked confused, reaching a hand to the back of her head. It came away sticky with blood.

"Would ya look at that." She mumbled and stumbled sideways.

"Whoa whoa. Easy does it." Nick caught her before she fell.

"Newt! Nick! Please believe me!" Ben screamed.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Thomas yelled back.

"Take him to the slammer. Keepers! Gathering, now! Nick yelled.

"Tommy. Go get cleaned up and meet the keeps in the buggen' Garherin' room." Newt added. "Evelyn you too."

"I'm fine. It's just blood." Waving him off.

"You're not-"

Her head snapped in his direction, her eyes narrowed, "I said I'm fine. Who's the healer here?" She snapped.

The guys were taking a screaming withering Ben to the Slammer. Jeff took Thomas to get cleaned up and Nick escorted Evelyn to the Council room. It took a few minutes for everyone to come back. In the meantime Newt sat in his chair arms folded staring at the ground. Nick had run for a cloth and ice for her head. It was an awkward tense silence.

Evelyn had nothing to say. She had talked to him already, given him an ultimatum. She knew he knew she heard the conversation in the woods. The next move was his. Evelyn was surprised how dull the pain was. She cared for him, she always would, maybe a piece of her would always love him. But right now...she was angry.

Newt lifted his head and opened his mouth but snapped it shut and looked over his shoulder. The door opened and Nick and the rest the guys came in. They all flocked around her. Nick took a quick look before placing the clean cloth over her head.

"Not as bad as it looks." He sighed in relief.

"Got a shucken wicked headache though." She muttered.

"All right, everyone sit down. Let's start this bloody meetin'" Newt yelled.

The Keepers all found their seats in the half circle. Minho caught her eye, "you okay?" He mouthed, concern written in his face. She nodded.

"All right. This stupid meetin' starts. I'm in charge, 'cause our leader is sick in bed. Nick takes my spot as second." He waved a hand and rolled his eyes. Evelyn saw how exhausted he looked.

"Great that's settled." He rolled his eyes again. He turned to Evelyn, looking at her but not making eye contact. "What the shuck happened?"

"Ben shoved me, took my knife I passed out."