Chapter 39: Hurt Feelings

Evelyn stood in the group of Keepers, a torch of fire in her hand, Alby gave his speech again, the same thing every month.

"We survived another month! For the greenie! LIT 'EM UP!"

He threw his into the pile of logs. Keepers followed his example. The Gladers all yelled and cheered and whooped. The fire went up easily. Evelyn watched the fire for a moment. shaking her melancholy thoughts and feelings aside she went to go grab a jar. Her and Gally had perfected their drinks. Gally handed her one with a nod.

"How ya doing?"

She shrugged.

"You?"

He shrugged. She took a sip.

"There's something about that Greenie!" He suddenly said.

"What about him? He asks more questions than Chuck!"

"No. There's something else." His voice was low, and his eyes were narrowed.

"Which is..?"

"I've seen him before! In my memories!"

Evelyn gasped and almost dropped her jar. "What? You shucken serious Gal?"

He nodded. Evelyn frowned, this news didn't do anything to help her growing feeling of unease. He came up like any other Greenie, but today was a weird day; animals were off, Gladers were off, Ben was stung, Greenie already stirring the pot, asking all kinds of questions and now Gally remembered the kid.

"Somethings off. I can see you know somethings off. I don't know Eve...I don't think I trust him."

"Gal..you never trust the greenies!" She chuckled.

"True. But... there's something more. I dunno... Just keep your eyes open and a head up."

"Noted. Thanks Gal. Have a good evening. You gonna go wrestle?"

"Shucken rights! Got a reputation to uphold." He chuckled.

She rolled her eyes, and went to try find Newt. She found Minho sitting by the fire staring into it with vacant eyes. She nodded at the other runners and she sat down beside Minho. Placing a hand on his back.

"Hey." She said quietly.

He nodded, taking a long sip of his drink. She laid her head on his shoulder. He laid his head on top of hers.

"He's doing okay. Clint is with him now. I'll go sit with him in a bit." She said quietly.

"Thanks Pixy. You shouldn't have come into the Maze, but thank you." His voice was quiet and broken.

"Minho!" She sat up straight and looked at him. "I would run into that Maze for any of you guys, but especially you!" Her eyes filled with tears.

His broken sad tired eyes looked back at her with a small sad smile.

"I know Pixy. I know you would. And that scares me. What would I do with out you?"

"You would crash and burn. This entire place would crumble and it would be anarchy."

He snorted into his drink. She smiled. Taking a sip of her own drink, she looked back into the fire. She caught a glimpse of Newt she got up. But froze. She watched a frown on her face. Newt handed the Greenie a jar and sunk down beside him, facing away from the fire. Evelyn sunk down beside Minho, a weird feeling inside her chest. Minho leaned over, his eyebrows pulled together.

"What's wring Pixy?"

"Nothing." She said quickly, her voice felt higher and tight.

Minho followed her line of vision. Newt was laughing at something the Greenie said, his head thrown back and a loud laugh escaped him. Minho frowned and looked back at Evelyn.