Chapter 3: A Hug?

I gulped.

"Excuse me, Nanami, is it? I am terribly sorry to intrude, but may I have a moment with Miss Brooke, please?" He asked politely, still smirking.

"Erm, yeah, go ahead! Talk all day if you must! Talking is good! Great, in fact! Haha..." Nanami answered awkwardly.

Nanami looked shamefully down at ground and started speed-walking, leaving us alone.

The trees began to rustle, and the area was being covered in a blanket of darkness. The atmosphere was definitely not helping how I was currently feeling.

Terrified? Maybe. Embarrassed? A bit. Angry? A lot.

"Y-You're going to kill me, aren't you?" I stammered, staring down at the ground. I am screwed.

He laughed and said, "Oh no, dear! But you are in a bit of a pickle."

"Erm, how big is my pickle?"

He hesitated, "Let's just say...it's something that can't be done quickly. Your pickle is big."

I sighed, "Oh Mikage! What have I done."

~•~

"Brooke, I need you to listen to me carefully," Mikage whispered, "the only way you can get out of here is to finish the manga series as you have stepped into the manga world when you opened that book. But that is for the time being. I will try my best to help you back to your world, but while you are in this world I need you to do three things for me, okay?"

I found it hard at first to get around my head, but then I understood. I'm in a book, basically.

I nodded slowly. He chuckled, "Good! First thing, first is this." He leaned his face towards mine. I smacked him in the head and fell back, blushing.

"W-what the hell! We've only know each other for an hour and you're already making moves!?" I whisper-yelled furiously.

"Haven't you read the scene where I kiss Nanami on her forehead? I'm giving you my home to share with Nanami. While you're with Nanami, I will find a way for you to return to the real world! Now come over here so I can give you the marks!"

I raised my eyebrows. "You are not touching me. What marks!? Anyway, if Nanami is the land God, what am I, hmm? Her fricking assistant?!"

He smiled. "You are smart, miss Brooke. No, when you receive the godly mark you will know, trust me. However, you will get two marks. One for your godly power, and one to protect you."

Protect me? From what exactly?

I rolled my eyes. "So, how do I receive these 'magical' marks?"

Mikage walked towards me and wrapped his arms around me. What was he doing?! I tried pushing him back but he just clung on. At first, I was taken back a bit (you could also count anger, but let's not), but then I realised something.

This was the first time somebody actually hugged me since mom and dad died.

~ Flashback ~

"Mommy, look! I made a story!" I shrieked, waddling over to mom, who was in the kitchen.

She had her long, wavy brown hair up in a bun. She was wearing a red apron, and was chopping away at the vegetables for dinner.

I tugged down at her apron. "MOM! MOM! MOM!" My mother chuckled and turned to face me. "Well, hello, Brookie!" She said while hugging and spinning me around. I started giggling.

As she set me down, she gently took my story from me. I looked at her, shocked, but she stuck her tongue out. I could see she was reading it thoroughly through. Her eyes widened as she got to the ending.