Chapter 9: Happy Endings Aren't That Simple

"Brooke I really think-..."

"Shh!"

"But Tomoe is going to-..."

I spun around to Nanami and whispered calmly, "Look, don't worry about Tomoe, he is literally as intimidating as pink butterfly, now shush and let's hear what the moron has to say."

Nanami sighed and we both leaned against the shutter so we could listen to how Tomoe was 'looking after' our guest.

"But why did Mikage entrust a pathetic human to be the time god? Let alone the land god? Both of them are just frail, dumb humans!" Laughed a voice. Simultaneously, me and Nanami looked at each other and cupped our hands over our mouths.

So they were gossiping about us. They both now remind me of Charlotte and Jessica. Snobby snobs.

"Ah, but Miss Brooke and Miss Nanami are not as dumb as you think," countered Tomoe, "Lady Nanami is a strong-willed girl, I see that someday she will make the blossoms bloom. But Lady Brooke will always remain a mystery to me, she is a stubborn, hot-headed girl, but I actually believe Mikage, and I do think she does deserve Mikage's power of time. I think Brooklyn reminds Mikage of Hikari, I definitely see the resemblance in their personalities."

Hikari? Who's that?

The other voice bursted out laughing and said, "Haha! I see, you're just a weak, cowardly fox familiar who is being pushed around by two little human girls!" Little? We're tall for girls at our age!  Maybe not me. Oh my god I'm not little! Well I am the same height as Levi...WAIT, WHY AM I MENTALLY ARGUING WITH MYSELF? Okay, that's actually a complete lie. How sad.

"Oh my, you are indeed being very harsh as those two girls, who your master has came to visit, is inferior to our god, are they not?" Taunted Tomoe. YES TOMOE! I was starting to crack up, but Nanami punched my arm, causing me to wince.

"ENOUGH WITH YOUR RUDENESS, YOU VILE CREATURE!" Cried the voice furiously, "I'm ordering you to bring out those two girls immediately or I will end you right here, fox!"

Tomoe was protecting us. But didn't he realise he was forgetting about himself? Hesitantly, I grabbed Nanami, who had an unwilling face upon her, and stormed into the room.

"I'm sorry for our rudeness!" I exclaimed, "I am Brooklyn Johnson, god of time!" Nanami smiled confidently at me and said, "And I'm Nanami Monozomo, god of land!" I then held on tightly to her hand and we both shouted, "And we are the gods of the Mikage Shrine!"

Fish-Man had a priceless face on him, but I just realised what I done. I've just embarrassed both myself and Nanami, but also Tomoe. Tomoe's dark atmosphere was starting to appear around him. What have I done? I thought I was doing a noble thing, not a stupid thing!

My hand was grasped by a cold one, which pulled me and Nanami to the ground. "Let me guess, this was your idea?" Complained Tomoe. "I'm so sorry, I-..." He tightly gripped on to my hand and whispered, "What has been done, has been done," he whispered calmly, "But it doesn't mean I'm not going to do worse to you than pinning you on wall later. You've still got that." My cheeks were heating up quickly, but I just squeezed Tomoe and Nanami's hands.

"Whatever happens next I've got to endure it, but now that you and Lady Nanami are here, I have no choice but to protect you," he mumbled. I smiled and said, "And you say it like a bad thing." He smiled (which was actually genuine!) and looked up to the Fish-Guy, seething with rage.

"Do you still like nature, despite what you did to it?" I muttered under my breath, causing Nanami to burst into laughter.

Fish-Guy bursted out laughing as well, however for a slightly different reason. "So the time god is a comedian? How interesting! They both are still weak, frail humans!" I stepped up to him and said, "Watch it, fishy! You dare insult any of the Mikage Shrine people I will turn you into fricking sushi! And I won't need my powers to do that!" I could hear Tomoe chuckling to himself behind me.