Chapter 39: Doing Something

My fist made contact with the yokai's wrinkly, scabby cheek; knocking him backwards onto the ground. Another (but rather podgy) yokai stumbled towards me. I balled my fists upwards and used my right arm to block him and forcefully punched him.

Thank you, Tomoe, for showing me I can be an aggressive person when I want to be.

I bet you would be laughing at my sloppy attempts. I would be. Or complaining about how impulsive those punches were. Or that my stance was completely off. Your voice and advice are ringing in the back of my head. 

At least there is less yokai to fight than before. I guess.

Actually, you know what, Tomoe: you made a hell of a teacher.

- -

I lifted my leg into the air; simultaneously trying to avoiding the windows in the small room. "Feast on my wrath, scumbag!" I am pretty sure I was possessed by the god of fighting that day. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Especially hearing Tomoe's constant sighs at me.

It was during my first week in the Kamisama world that Tomoe taught me how to 'properly' fight. It was raining badly, so we were all cooped up in the living room. Nanami went to see her mom at the cemetery that day. That's why I remember it raining! She said how her mom loved the rain, and she wanted to go and tell her about this whole week.

"HOO-WAAA-CHAA!" I quickly punched the air and started to jump around as if I was dodging my imaginary rival. I think I called him Warren. Warren the Weak Warrior.

I smiled and shouted at the air, "YEAH! Suck on my iron fists, you-"

Tomoe boringly gazed at my 'buffoonery and started to walk towards me. I could hear Darth Vader's theme tune playing. It made me giggle. 

Ah, great. Another day, another lecture. If the dude cared so much, he would have helped me already. But no. He just wanted to embarrass and torment me and make my life a living hell. Not that it already wasn't one.

Tomoe sighed, "What in the hell, are you doing, Brooklyn?"

"Something you could never do, fox-boy." I smiled at him and turned away. I started to shuffle into an awkward stance to fight.

A smirk crept upon his face. "Oh, and what would that be? Acting like an idiot?"

"At least I'm acting. You're an idiot." I began to beat up Warren the Weak Warrior.

"You know, stupid girl..."

"Call me stupid girl again, and I guarantee you will get punched again and will feel 10x the wrath poor Warren here is getting-..."

"You are not improving on your own."

I paused, still facing away from Tomoe. "What made you so arrogant, Tomoe? Is it because I'm just some goofball teen?" I placed a stray hair behind my ear and wiped the sweat off my neck quickly. "Since I have been here I haven't got a read on you. Just that you're mean." I wanted to talk some sense into him. Maybe then I could understand why he hated me so much. Or understand his god complex. I started to turn around, "You can't just go round and put people's confidence down. In case you didn't realise, kindness is more effective than hate. At least I am doing something. I'm trying to be better, okay?"

Tomoe was mere inches away from me. I tilted my head up to him and didn't flinch. Until he started to push my hair back. He started to gently fondle my hair - it sent shivers down my spine. I can just remember my face burning up, and usually, Tomoe would smirk at that. But not today.

"Your hair is too long. Your opposer can grab it and drag you if you leave it down. Either cut it or tie it up," he said sternly.

I looked down for a second. "Oh...erm, my hair is-..."